Skip to main content

how telnet works

More
16 years 3 months ago #24935 by shathriyan1983
could anyone please explain how telnet works..
More
16 years 3 months ago #24947 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: how telnet works
Telnet is an IP application-layer protocol that gives you a text-based console session on a remote machine. You need a telnet server running on the remote machine and a client application on yours that connects to it. TCP Port 23 is the default port for telnet operation. It is quite an old protocol now with several known security issues, one of the biggest being that the username and password you supply to the distant host are passed over the network as clear text.
Is that enough or do you need more depth?
More
16 years 3 months ago #24954 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: how telnet works
On XP machines, there is a Telnet service (services.msc from the Run prompt) that is disabled be default. If you enable it and start the service, you can telnet to the machine from another XP machine by typing "telnet computer_name" from the command prompt. You may be asked to authenticate to the machine. After that, you're remotely connected.

If you're question was prompted by the need to increase your knowledge of this old technology for school, then I'd just recommend you up to this point about it.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24958 by SteveP
Replied by SteveP on topic Re: how telnet works

If you're question was prompted by the need to increase your knowledge of this old technology for school, then I'd just recommend you up to this point about it.

It's interesting what you're not saying in that sentence! I don't want to be explicit, just in case I give folks some ideas.

I've been aware about telnet for quite some time and the only time that I've actually used it is when accessing one router from another.
More
16 years 3 months ago #25025 by shathriyan
Replied by shathriyan on topic please explain further
thanks for your previous explanation, sorry for the late response

the explaination i need is like how the protocol is designed to work.

eg :-

how does the request goes from host to host

how the request is valid at the destination

I tried capturing the telnet packet, but its not that much clear to understand

pleace give packet level explainations

thanks in advance,
Shathriyan

shathriyan
Infrastructure Manager
More
16 years 3 months ago #25046 by NeoTech
Replied by NeoTech on topic Re: how telnet works
You're really asking quite a lot there, for example an explaination would have to go into tcp communications aswell as p2p sessions and a lot of the OSI model. Having only just passed CCNA1 (and having no relative industry experience,) i really cant help you but perhaps one of the more advanced guys here can?

on a side note what are you trying to do, intercept telnet sessions or something? lol

Neo
Tech
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds