Skip to main content

Question on Etherchannel Protocol

More
16 years 8 months ago #23110 by Jowee
I had a friend who I think misconfigure the Etherchannel protocol in his company. But I am not sure about it.

When I ask him to give me a "show etherchannel summary". The protocol field is empty. And the "show run" also didnt show any etherchannel protocol on it. I asked him what protocol he used for the Etherchannel, but he wasnt sure about it.

As far as I know, you need to tell the switch to use either LACP or PAgP when you configure an Etherchannel right? How come his network still working like normal???

Is there any way to check if the ether channel is running alright??

Cheers
More
16 years 8 months ago #23111 by Smurf
As far as i know, PAgP provides Automatic EtherChannel config and negotiation between Cisco Switches. I would have thought the protocol should be listed though ?

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 8 months ago #23112 by Jowee
u mean PAgP will auto nego the protocol if both switch is Cisco? The weird thing is, the show etherchannel summary did not show the protocol. The protocol field was blank...wierd.
More
16 years 8 months ago #23114 by Smurf
Yup, according to Cisco's Website

"Port aggregation protocol (PAgP) aids in the automatic creation of Fast EtherChannel links. PAgP packets are sent between Fast EtherChannel-capable ports in order to negotiate the forming of a channel. "

Not sure about the protocol missing, i have always manually configured the etherchannel

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 8 months ago #23205 by skepticals
Has your problem been resolved?
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds