Skip to main content

Classful & Classless routing subnet mask question

More
16 years 9 months ago #22686 by durk21
yeah rip version 1 does not support discontigous subnetworks

If I were you I would just use the version 2 command and enter the subnet masks then it doesnt matter if they are on discontigous networks. [/b]
More
16 years 9 months ago #22687 by durk21
If you want rip to see your other differing subnet or for the two networks to pass updates you must be using RIP v2. So that the discontigous network gets passed along in updates.
More
16 years 9 months ago #22726 by shamrock
Great! Thats seems to have cleared things up for me
Thanks for the info guys,
Kind regards,
SHamrock.
More
16 years 9 months ago #22730 by S0lo

If RIPV1 can only populate its routing table with the above info,
any network with a classless mask simply wont matter, it wont make it into the routing table.

Yes, Unless it's a directly connected network, then the router will use the subnet mask that is already available on the interface it self. And when RIPv1 send broadcasts without subnet masks (comming from that same interface from the neighbouring router) telling about remote neworks, Then if the remote network has the same classfull network address as the one for this interface, The routing table will use the same classless subnet mask of the directly connected network for that remote network.

Sorry if that does'nt make sence but I tried it with RIPv1 with 3 routers connected with serails. and it works. first link has 10.0.0.0/16, and second link has 10.1.0.0/16. now this is not classfull subnetting and IT WORKED with RIPv1

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds