Skip to main content

MPLS

More
16 years 11 months ago #21576 by custom163
MPLS was created by custom163
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with MPLS network setups? I just got on board with a new company and they just inked a deal to get a 7 site MPLS network installed. I have been looking around but besides just the basics of what it is I can find no information on equipment needed (interfaces from provider to my equipment) or anything of the like.

Thanks for your time
More
16 years 11 months ago #21582 by unlight
Replied by unlight on topic Re: MPLS
Hey,

Are these just 7 diverse customer sites which want to connect to each other via Layer3 VPN? The interface from your customer edge router to the provider edge router will depend on the means used to interconnect (fibre / ethernet / serial etc), The physical interface doesn't matter, the CE routers won't need to know MPLS. They will however need a static route to the service provider or you will need to implement a dynamic routing protocol (rip2, ospf, eigrp, ebgp from memory if cisco) - thats something you to have to agree on with whoevers providing the service. Addressing concerns for your host and linking subnets should be at your disgression because your SP will use a unique route distinguisher to seperate multiple incoming private addresses from different routing instances (you obviously can't have overlaps in your private addressing though).
More
16 years 11 months ago #21623 by custom163
Replied by custom163 on topic Re: MPLS

Are these just 7 diverse customer sites which want to connect to each other via Layer3 VPN?

Our company has 7 total branch offices. 6 of them connect to the main office for e-mail/terminal services.

Thanks for the info. You have provided more than the SP so far. I cant get anyone that knows anything on the phone. I do hope that is not the norm.

Thanks again
More
16 years 11 months ago #21689 by unlight
Replied by unlight on topic Re: MPLS
heh, its the norm for the sales team at the company I work for. Ask your account manager to put you in contact with someone who can help or try find a provider more interested in finding a solution for you.

That should be easily done. Everything should be pretty much transparent from your end and you will be left with a relatively simple IP network. You just typically have to figure out a connection from your sites to your service providers POPs.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds