Skip to main content

Purpose of WS-SUP-720 3B module

More
17 years 3 months ago #19846 by networknaz
Dear All,

In our Company They are planning to go for Cisco CAT 6500 Series Switches with WS-SUP-720 3B.

My ? is

what is SUP

why we need ??

Without SUP we cant run switch or what ?

I have gone to through some document but unable to understand.

Can any one help me in this..

Regards

Nazzz...

"All success is rooted in either luck or failure. If you begin with luck, you learn nothing. However, if you begin with failure and learn to evaluate it, you also learn to succeed."
More
17 years 3 months ago #19865 by d_jabsd

Dear All,

In our Company They are planning to go for Cisco CAT 6500 Series Switches with WS-SUP-720 3B.

My ? is

what is SUP

Its the supervisor module.

why we need ??

It holds the IOS/CatOS image and controls the other cards making the switch functional. Also holds the primary memory and gives you console access to the system.

Without SUP we cant run switch or what ?

Correct, and considering the cost and functionality of the 6500 series, why would you ever want to use it as a normal switch -cisco makes plenty of normal layer 2 switches for a tiny fraction of the cost of a 6500. A 6500 can control switching, routing, IDS, and firewall in a single device depending on the modules you install.

Think of the supervisor module as the CPU of the 6500. You can plug all sorts of cards into your PC and probably get them to power up, but they aren't going to do a thing until you put the CPU in.

The other modules may have their own CPU, memory and IOS image as well, if they require it (eg: pix module, ids module)
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds