Skip to main content

Bandwidth Measurement

More
17 years 5 months ago #17880 by chandak76
Hi, Is there a way I can findout how much bandwidth we are getting from our isp.Is there software that I can use.We have a 256kb line but at times when there is no one in the building,using www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ i get 16kbps download speed.Is there a way I can see who is slowing down the internet that's if its not the isp's problem.
More
17 years 5 months ago #17895 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic bandwidth test
nnbnbhi,
the best way to test your bandwidth is to use something which your ISP prescribes to check your bandwidth. any other website would be testing data transfer rates between your computers and their servers. hence you will not get the entire picture.
if your agreed bandwidth is 256 kbps, and your are only getting 16 kbps, there is a huge short fall.
i would suggest your check your CPE device or devices and all other network nodes. the best way to do this is to study the packets travelling between machines.
try ethereal
www.ethereal.com/
it will help you study the packets flying about in your network. you might be able to pin point to the rougue device in your network, or even challenge your ISP for low quality of service.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 5 months ago #17907 by chandak76
Replied by chandak76 on topic Re: Bandwidth Measurement
Hi, Im currenly downloading ethereal and will let you know what I don't understand
More
17 years 5 months ago #17908 by eylli
Replied by eylli on topic Re: Bandwidth Measurement
Any use of MRTG itis very helful on traffic monitoring
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds