Skip to main content

VPN Concentrator

More
17 years 8 months ago #16363 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: VPN Concentrator
Please post the response if you contact Cisco TAC.

Are you thinking of taking out SmartNET again ? If so then i would contact your supplier (if you got through a reseller) and talk to them about getting the SmartNET Contract and then raising a TAC Case then. This way you will be able to offset the cost of raising a one-time call against the cost of SmartNET and then the device is covered.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 8 months ago #16376 by Dove
Replied by Dove on topic Re: VPN Concentrator
Hi check this link, it gives password recovery procedure for different Cisco products. Hope it will help you.

www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel...186a00801746e6.shtml

Regards,
Dove

Dove
More
17 years 8 months ago #16396 by wlekns
Replied by wlekns on topic Re: VPN Concentrator
Thanks Dove - I'll give a look
More
17 years 8 months ago #16398 by d_jabsd
Replied by d_jabsd on topic Re: VPN Concentrator

Please post the response if you contact Cisco TAC.

Are you thinking of taking out SmartNET again ? If so then i would contact your supplier (if you got through a reseller) and talk to them about getting the SmartNET Contract and then raising a TAC Case then. This way you will be able to offset the cost of raising a one-time call against the cost of SmartNET and then the device is covered.

Regarding adding SmartNet to an older device that does not currently have a SmartNet contract:

Its not as easy as just buying the contract. Depending on the length of time the device has been out of contract and manufacture date, Cisco may require that they re-certify the device before allowing a SmartNet contract to be purchased for it. This is, by no means, cheap, as they will send someone out to inspect the device and make sure it is still valid for a contract. If this is a core router or a device that is critical and can't be easily replaced, it may be worth it. If its a department switch, where a replacement is relatively inexpensive and easily configured, it may not be worth it.

You need to evaluate your needs for the contract against the device and other devices in your network.

If all you need are software images, you can most likely get them as long as you have a contract on another device. Cisco does not alter the list of images based on the hardware you have listed in your contract (there are some exceptions to this, but for the most part, if you have a contract on a 2950 switch, you can still download an image for a 2800 series router.)

If you need support, you can try using an existing contract to get basic support for the device that doesn't have a contract. Most of it depends on the Support tech's willingness to help. Worst case scenario, they will just say 'we can't help you'. Best case scenario, you get a guy will give you some help anyway.

You should have valid contracts for every device in your network, but at the very least, you need one contract and some good searching skills.

No contract for anything = a very difficult time when you run into problems or need images.

One final option is to get your CCIE certification. It gives you full access to all images, and IIRC, full support tools without a contract on the devices themselves.
More
17 years 8 months ago #16402 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: VPN Concentrator
Suppose it would depend on when the last admin let the contract lapse. I am guessing if it was only 6 months then surely you would be able to get a new contract sorted.

Like you said though, it depends how much the kit is worth i suppose.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 8 months ago #16441 by Dove
Replied by Dove on topic Re: VPN Concentrator
wlekns pls post the solution which one is worked for you.

Rgds,
Dove

Dove
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds