Skip to main content

dhcp vs static ip

More
17 years 11 months ago #14766 by defsoul
dhcp vs static ip was created by defsoul
Hi,
I've got a network (+- 60 pc's)with static ip addresses assigned to all pc's,a friend of says i should chage to dhcp because it makes the network faster, not that i have speed problems but would like to if this is true or not?
More
17 years 11 months ago #14769 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic DHCP or Static
It doesn't make the basic operation of the network any faster, but it becomes vastly easier to maintain. So I suppose you could say that seting up new PCs and managing your existing ones would be faster
More
17 years 11 months ago #14772 by The_Geek
Replied by The_Geek on topic Re: dhcp vs static ip
Static vs dynamic will not make your network faster, but like TheBishop said, it will make network management a lot better. However, before you start switching from static to dynamic, make sure there are no port forwards set.

Powered by
More
17 years 8 months ago #16555 by talk2sp
HEY U HAVE A CUTIOUS AND INTELLIGENT POST OUT HERE BUT I HAVE TO TELL U THIS AND IT IS - DHCP ONLY SAVES U STRESS OF CONFIGURING MANUALLY..... I THINK U SHOULD CHECK OUT THIS LINK IT MIGHT BE OF HELP 2 U ......

www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/network/dhcp/dhcpfaq.mspx

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
17 years 7 months ago #16593 by Kevin6
Replied by Kevin6 on topic STATIC IPADDRESS AND DHCP
Hi,

I think you Should Change to DHCP ,, Rather have a Static IP address . As A static Ip Address is Easy for Other Person in you Network . To Know about the Computer Information , As If he As Enable the Telnet or other Service in that Particular Computer.

But one Good thing is Static IP address is Easy to Mange the Network , And For Remote Access . But even that Also Can Over Cross if you have a DHCP .

As they are Few Switch in the Market . Which Can Mange to Get you MAC address , In which you Can Access they network .

Check it out .

Kevin john
More
17 years 5 months ago #18078 by kingofzombis
Replied by kingofzombis on topic Re: dhcp vs static ip
Hey Defsoul
as the others had already said that it wont affect the speed of the network but it would be easy to manage the network ...however when u use DHCP make sure u take care of DNS and u keep some IPs reserved for default gateway and stuff like that ..........and if possible use DHCP only for Host PC
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds