Skip to main content

how to divide a LAN

More
18 years 3 weeks ago #14006 by monsky
how to divide a LAN was created by monsky
what is the best solution to divide a LAN with the objective of security? let's say 3 departments in the office.. the accounting.. engineering .. and production.

and what is the simplest solution? is subnetting one of the solution?

tnx in advance
More
18 years 3 weeks ago #14008 by tHe-SwItCh
hi

The best solution to partioning or segmenting your LAN is pretty much VLANing it. A VLAN or Virtual LAN will give you the much required isolation between different departments in your workplace and also accomodates hierarchy n scalability. Trunking will allow you to continue the VLAN on different switches located on perhaps ... say different floors.

For eg. u hv the frontline technicians accessing the network from floor 1 and their Technical Manager accessing the same workgroup/ network/ network subsection from floor 2. Since they are gonna be accessing the same network but from different floors ..... Trunking between Managed VLAN embedded switches is the best solution here. Subnetting in such cases may help .... but for specific requirements only ... and actually does not provide any sense of security. Subnetting sometimes will only end up create more problems than it solves. Simple MAC level or 802.1Q Tag based VLAN should be the simplest way to approach this problem ..... n more often than not ..... the simplest way to solve a challenge is very often the best one !

Cheerz n beerz
More
18 years 3 weeks ago #14010 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic subnetting or workgroups
yes subnetting could be a good solution provided how many divisions you want to make in the existing network structure, and how many hosts you need in each network subdivision. there are other options as well in forming workgroups, but at the end of the day it primarily depends on what your security needs are. you can even divide the network up by using hardware and subnetting combination.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 3 weeks ago #14018 by VINODM
Replied by VINODM on topic hi guys,
Hi,
just like to add to tHe-SwItCh & Arani

Subnetting & VLAN are the options we have, the only diffrence is that Subnetting help us to Eliminate the Department at Network (IP Layer) level where as VLAN segments the Network at the Layer 2 (MAC).

I personally prefer VLAN because it is more secure and Have the options of assigning Port Level security based on MAC address information & eliminate Broadcast domain at the L2 Itself.

Cheers,
-VINOD M

Cheers,
VINOD M :)

CCNA
~If You Cant Beat Him Join Him~
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #14097 by kunaltyagi
Replied by kunaltyagi on topic Re: how to divide a LAN
for this the best resolution is configuring VLAN's port wise because this is the only option that provide the best security when we think about the secured division of LAN

I'm an artist by living --- my art is my life
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #14115 by monsky
Replied by monsky on topic Re: how to divide a LAN
ok. i will keep those informations.

thanks to all! :D
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds