Skip to main content

DSLAM Basics

More
17 years 7 months ago #17252 by koslyr
Replied by koslyr on topic Re: DSLAM Basics
Thanks Ranger for your answers.

If I understand well expect from the Mac problem, you consider that there are not other hardware differences between the two cases (light Ethernet Dslam with a replacement of main Controller card towards a pure Ethernet Dslam).

Another question about IP Dslam Configuration for triple play services.
So far the main broadband service wan only the Fast Internet but the introduction of Adsl2+ brings new services like Voip & IPTV.
Considering the existing status, the main protocol for the CPE to obtain an IP address from the corresponding ISP is the PPPoX. The introduction of the new services requires multiplies PPP connections in order the subscriber user to access the Next Generation applications. But the most of the CPEs have problem acquiring more than IP address when it is establishing more than one PPP connection.
An alternative solution to address this problem is to use DCHP and provides IP addresses via DHCP server. So, for the VoIP and IPTV the Dslam could be configure according to DCHP option 60. At this case there is a major problem of defining the Domain Name which is dependency from CPE hardware characteristic. In a free market where the user could select and buy any modem/router is very difficult and not scalable to use this option of configuration.
What are the other alternatives for this case (PPP & DCHP)?
More
17 years 6 months ago #17311 by Ranger24
Replied by Ranger24 on topic Re: DSLAM Basics
As more services are offered it is more desirable for the service provider to bundle a prefered CPE with the services, exactly for the reasons you described.

Often the operator will supply a STB (Set To Box) and CPE. Then IPTV (and VoIP) can be supplied via PPP or DHCP to the STB. leaving the user free to use the supplied CPE or one of their choice.

So the Network would be:

[code:1]
VoiP Handset
\
[STB]
/ \
TV
----[CPE]=====DSL Line
/
/
PC
PPPoE
[/code:1]
I'll think about this some more...

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
17 years 6 months ago #17338 by lady
Replied by lady on topic DSLAM
Hello Ranger

Do DSLAMs have any unique identifier, basically, how do I distinguish one from another? I dont think MAC address is an option?
More
17 years 6 months ago #17373 by Ranger24
Replied by Ranger24 on topic Re: DSLAM Basics
Hi Lady,

Depends upon the DSLAM.

As far as I am aware with ATM DSLAMs the only unique identifier is the name given by the operator to the DSLAM during intital installation.

IP / Ethernet DSLAMs have up to 3 MAC address, and these can be used.

Br

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
17 years 6 months ago #17385 by lady
Replied by lady on topic DSLAM identifier
Thanks Ranger,
That answers my question to a large extent.
More
17 years 6 months ago #17423 by Mhaddad
Replied by Mhaddad on topic Re: DSLAM Basics
Hi Ranger
in one of your posts you mentioned that QoS on the DSLAM will be implemented at one of 3 levels.
well, my question is for example if we take the first level , that ATM traffic discriptors will be mapped to IP CoS, how will the ATM DSLAM that is not aware of the IP traffic make this mapping, ( i guess i am missunderstanding you) but if i understand you well , then the DSLAM is not making this mapping, it is the administartor who mapps an IP CoS parameters to ATM traffic descriptors if this is what you mean !!
also in this case, the PE router can make matches on IP information or DSCP information to start QoS application, and all of this is actually contained in a single ATM PVC or a VLAN or an interface , so how will the DSLAM map thiese info into ATM traffic descriptors
lets say how will the DSLAM map the VOIP , Video and Internet traffic from user on a single PVC while it cannot understand IP information.

also you mentioned in another post , that you may exclude the QoS on the DSLAM if you control your DSL users from the BRAS , i may agree with you to an extent, but the problem arrises from the congestion of the ATM Access network that might be congested, so the control of the QoS for the user is lost due to the choke point on the DSLAM
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds