Skip to main content

unable to connect hp/h3c switch to entrasys switch

More
12 years 9 months ago #37218 by bijayswain
when I connect my H3c/hp pro-curve switch to Entrasys N7 switch the card in N7 switch which contains the port connect to h3c/hp switch goes offline . but if i connect a simple unmanageable dlink 24 port switch it works fine what could be the problem.
More
12 years 9 months ago #37219 by Nevins
The list of things is very very long but lets think about this for a second:

You have 3 switches:

A.)H3c/hp pro-curve
B.)Entrasys N7
C.)unmanageable dlink

A and B use vendor specific management tools as management switches
C uses no management tools (unmanned switches "just work")

A and B do not work together in current configuration

B and C or A and C do work together in current configuration

The problem has to be between how A and B negotiate the link. This means there is an error in communications caused by:

Speed/Duplex miss-match
Encapsulation Disagreement
Trunk status miss-match
HP does not like Entrasys (just putting that out there as a what-if)
Entrasys does not like HP (just putting that out there as a what-if)
BPDU Guard is on
Bad port on one of the switches (suggest trying different port)

My suggestion to you would be to go back and get more data. It would be easier to help you if we had at least running configs for both interfaces on both switches as well as interface status while it's down.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
12 years 9 months ago #37220 by bijayswain
Thanks for your reply.

I will post running config of entrasys n7 switch and there is no need of hp running config as it is not configured yet has default config.

we are not making the link as trunk link. tried a fiber port on the but that also do the same.

same port works on dlink unmanaged switch .so port can't be bad .

about duplex . auto negotiate .
More
12 years 9 months ago #37221 by Nevins
Just curious what will the function of these switches be?

H3c/hp pro-curve
Entrasys N7

Why is it that you are trying to mix and match switches? Are you trying to save money? I think you may be setting yourself up for trouble later if you are having an issue right now.

I just envision a situation where you get a call and all the sudden it's life or death that you get everything back up and running and your not sure what is causing your major switches not to communicate properly and half your network or more is out while you sit there stressing about compatibilities.

By no means am I suggesting that it's not a good idea to mix and match period if it means saving money. It just sounds like your heading into this without a safety net because your having issue with basic configuration between these devices.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds