Skip to main content

Cisco Noob Admin needs monitoring tool for 6513 switch

More
12 years 11 months ago #36792 by dpsmith
Hello.
First post after lurking for a while.
Great forum!

I'm a Windows Admin trying to get a handle on my CISCO equipment.
I can login and backup the configs and....that's about it!
We currently have a CISCO tech on call for any changes we might need but I've been told that I should work to make it my responsibility.
I'm reading and have a few pieces to practice on.

Anyway, is there any kind of graphical programs for me to use so I can see at a glance how my routers are setup?

For instance I have a massive 6513 switch fully loaded with 2960 blades and few Gig switches.
What's the best way to manage them?
I'd love to see the ports that are actually in use or if it's good or bad.

I use Solarwinds for my network and have included the Cisco devices but it only tells me if it's down or up.
I also use a few Manageengine products too.

Any recommendations for products or even training materials?
Every time I pick something up it's all about different layers and subnetting.
Which, I know is important but we are a small shop and only have 2 subnet and 2 Vlans.
I think I need a survival guide more than a setup guide right now.

Thanks!
More
12 years 11 months ago #36794 by dpsmith
After continued browsing I read about CISCO SDM and was able to download it from CISCO.
Now I just need to figure out how to log into it.
I guess I need to enable SSH.
I'm having my cisco tech set that up for me.

Is this a good program?
More
12 years 11 months ago #36801 by WhatsUpGuru
Replied by WhatsUpGuru on topic WhatsConnected
We have a product called WhatsConnected. It is typically used in conjunction with our monitoring/management product, WhatsUp Gold, but since you are already running Solarwinds, you could just look at WhatsConnected.

You can find more information about WhatsConnected here: www.whatsupgold.com/products/whatsup-gol...connected/index.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions.
More
12 years 11 months ago #36804 by S0lo

After continued browsing I read about CISCO SDM and was able to download it from CISCO.
Now I just need to figure out how to log into it.
I guess I need to enable SSH.

I believe SDM is for Routers only. Try CNA (Cisco Network Assistant). Some switches IOS come with WDM (Web Device Manager) but I think that's not for the 6513. There is also the commercial CiscoWorks CiscoView.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
12 years 11 months ago #36823 by rizin
Hi dpsmith,

I feel sorry for you, however i agree with S0lo Suggestions. WDM is Quite enough for upto 3560 and little above, i haven't seen or work on 6513 switches.

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds