Skip to main content

Vlan with dlink unmanaged switch in between two cisco switch

More
12 years 11 months ago #36791 by bijayswain
Can I create vlans on two cisco switches having a dlink unmanaged switch in between them.

two vlans as vlan 10 and vlan 20 . both the cisco switches have 12 ports assigned to each vlan . but between the cisco switches there is a dlink unmanaged switch. can vlan work properly.
More
12 years 11 months ago #36800 by rizin
Probably Yes.

1. Assume when you create VLAN 10 for Cisco switch A then connect the Dlink switch with the uplink or access port of Switch A so that the Dlink switch will comes under the VLAN 10.

2. Likewise when you create VLAN 20 for Cisco switch B then connect the Dlink switch with the uplink or access port of Switch B so that the Dlink switch will comes under the VLAN 20

3. Wherever the Dlink switch lies, it only matters the one straight through cable connection from the Cisco switch to Dlink switch

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I think if you are really configuring you will have many questions once you started this work, looking forward for your next question.

Regards,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
12 years 11 months ago #36814 by bijayswain
my network is like below
www.filesend.net/download.php ?
f=bec7d0d14a68f5b48ce6b2337a340810

download the image file and tell me whether it is possible.
More
12 years 11 months ago #36822 by rizin
Hi,

Is there any specific reason you want to connect trunk from Dlink ?

1. I guess in this diagram, Dlink is Unmanaged switch.

2. You can create another trunk from Cisco 3560 and connect directly to Cisco 2960. Assume you want Cisco 2960 to be a part of Vlan 20 then create a trunk port from any port of the Vlan 20 of Cisco 3560 and connect it to Cisco 2960 Access port (also known as trunk port if the port speed is 100Mbps and above).

3. Try it, and get back to give feedback.

4. If you need any Cisco command help feel free to ask.

Good Luck !

Rizin

More
12 years 11 months ago #36824 by bijayswain
Hi
Rizin

I need to go through dlink unmanaged switch because we don't have any spare fiber cable in between two cisco switches . and distance is more to connect a new cat6 cable.
this is an existing setup and I have to do it with this setup.

problem is after trunking pcs connected with cisco 2960 switch works fine but pcs connected with dlink switch are unable to get ip from dhcp server. i have used ip helper command to connect to dhcp on cisco 3560 .
More
12 years 11 months ago #36826 by rizin
Hi,

1. Did you check the Dlink switch is properly negotiating MAC Address from PC ?

2. Isolate the Dlink from All trunks, just connect Two PC's with Dlink to see whether it negotiate and pinging goes well between two PC's.

3. Get back for feed back.

Regards,

Rizin

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds