Skip to main content

Conquer of IPv6

More
13 years 3 months ago #35959 by rizin
Conquer of IPv6 was created by rizin
Dear All,

I had given to understand that from the Year 2011 IPv4 reign will be eliminated.

Instead IPv6 will be ruling the Kingdom of IP Addresses.

How far this news is true would you guys shed light on this.

If the above news is true, then we have to start Topic describing about IPv6.

Thanks in Advance.

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
13 years 3 months ago #35968 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Conquer of IPv6
Can you quote a source as regards to your finding. Maybe this page will be useful
www.arin.net/knowledge/v4-v6.html
More
13 years 3 months ago #35971 by rizin
Replied by rizin on topic Re: Conquer of IPv6
Hi,

Following is the source from Wikipedia.

IPv4 exhaustion

Estimates of the time of complete IPv4 address exhaustion varied widely in the early 2000s, but all converge now[update] on the time frame from 2011 to 2012. In 2003, Paul Wilson (director of APNIC) stated that, based on then-current rates of deployment, the available space would last for one or two decades.[8] In September 2005, a report by Cisco Systems suggested that the pool of available addresses would dry up in as little as 4 to 5 years.[9] As of September 2010[update], a daily updated report projected that the IANA pool would be exhausted in mid-2011, with the various regional Internet registries using up their allocations from IANA in early 2012.[10] As of 2008, a policy process has started for the end-game and post-exhaustion era.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Thanks in Advance,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
13 years 3 months ago #35972 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: Conquer of IPv6
My personal idea is IPv4 is just fine the way it is... and it's not necessary to migrate towards IPv6..

We have a feature called NAT which can perfectly solve the IP exhaustion... and besides there are a LOT, and I mean a lot! of universities in the USA who have a B-class public network, which is ridiculous ofcourse... also countries with A-class subnets who aren't even using 1% of their assigned IP addresses..

So I would say, revoke the not-used addresses and we can go ahead for another 5 years..

Then, ofcourse the upcomming of the smartphones is an issue.. but even that is perfectly solvable by NAT...

Imho, IPv6 is still obsolete.

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds