Skip to main content

How could this work?

More
18 years 7 months ago #10224 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: How could this work?
Definitely. Very illuminating and a real eye opener!
More
18 years 7 months ago #10231 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: How could this work?
OK,

Thanks for that. I'll have a chat with the bishop and see if we will have a play with this at some time.
More
18 years 7 months ago #10233 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Cain and Abel
Play now!! Work can wait. Oh and while you're at it, put the kettle on will you Rockape? I always play better over a nice cup of tea...
More
18 years 7 months ago #10235 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: How could this work?
Cain is fun for the whole family. You might want to look into some of the other VoIP security tools.. such as Vomit -- which converts Cisco VoIP conversations into wav files from tcpdump output:
vomit.xtdnet.nl/

Wrt wide-scale traffic interception -- the capability is there, however I personally fail to see the effectiveness, given that your transmissions will be buried among so much background noise of the Internet at work :)

Not to mention that anyone with even the slightest degree of sophistication will use encryption -- and strong encryption at that -- which would render keyword matching and the like useless. Perhaps traffic analysis (the fact that person A talked to person B, regardless of what they spoke about) might be useful, but in a more limited way.

Lets face it -- tracking the identity of someone *purely* on the Internet is difficult. What happens if the guy is logged in from an open wireless network in a busy business district bouncing through a couple of systems that he personally 'owns', then fires all his communications through Tor (tor.eff.org), further squeezes them through a few more publicly abused proxies (so that he is once again shielded by massive logs), and all of this is happening encrypted.

It's more than difficult -- the only people with the resources to track something like that would probably find it easier to get him 'offline', perhaps at the most using a TEMPEST attack:
www.surasoft.com/articles/tempest.php
to read what he's upto before the men in suits show up and bundle him into a black helicopter. ;)

Hehe it sounds rather random talking about it like this, but hey -- dyou see any reason why its *not* possible? Besides, I'm sleepy, my imagination could use a stretch!

-- Disclaimer --
I happened to watch 'Sneakers'
www.imdb.com/title/tt0105435/
again last night, so my views are a little paranoid right now ;)

Cheers all,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
18 years 7 months ago #10249 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: How could this work?

I happened to watch 'Sneakers'
www.imdb.com/title/tt0105435/
again last night, so my views are a little paranoid right now ;)

Good film!!
More
18 years 7 months ago #10264 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Vomit
Vomit...
What a wonderful name for a piece of software!
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds