More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3279 by Jack

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3282 by sahirh
Lol this is actually quite a funny coincidence ! My box has been having heat trouble -- the BIOS keeps telling me that the CPU has crossed the temperature threshold. I figure this is because its an Athlon (yep they do heat faster than Intel, but they're well worth the extra heat). Not to mention the Bombay summer isn't helping it one bit.

I swear right now I'm running the machine with the side panels off and a bottle of crushed ice with a little fan pointing in. Air conditionings dead because of some building work.

Worst case scenario I'll have to do the dreaded --- underclock !

:(

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3289 by Cheetah
Hi

I agree that AMD is worth the heat. In my home network everything is powered by AMD.

But the latest AMD's not heat up much. I have an Athlon XP 2800+ and on the Firewall I use AMD Duron 2200+. Both works on and on and never complained about heat.

Sahirh, the icebox idea is not good becuase it throws in a lot of moisture into your box. Eventually your components will fail.

There are a lot of liquid based cooling systems available. I even saw myself, some of them performing extremely well, keeping the CPU at 25 degree! These are basically for the over clockers, and a lot of enthusiasts in these areas. But was quite an interesting experience.

BTW, My Athlon box has 6 fans running from coolermaster.

Visit www.coolermaster.com

Regards
Cheetah

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
<i>The outcome of devotion is, quality!</i>
More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3290 by sahirh
Hmm good point about the moisture. I'm just waiting to get myself one of those antec cabinets with better integrated cooling. I actually need to pick up a whole lot of new hardware -- New graphics card (my beloved Voodoo 3 is becoming increasingly difficult to find good drivers for), as well as 256MB more RAM.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 10 months ago #4018 by SkycapChris
Hello everyone. I was on Google doing a search on Athlon Barton 2800+ temperature threshold and this thread came up. My new 2800+ got to 158 degrees (F) today (when I put the side panels on for the first time). Something tells me that's not good. I have a good CPU fan in there, but no case fans. I have removed both side panels and the top and it is still running at 120 degrees. What should the average be with the 2800+? 120 doesn't sound too good. Is it? Thanks in advance for any replies you might have!

www.DeluxePortal.com DeluxePortal is the BEST forum portal on the market! I have it on my site and wouldn't use anything else.
More
19 years 10 months ago #4023 by h_ythakkar
Hi SkycapChris,

I have assembled around 10 -15 AMDs, all in all the temperature of the processor never crossed 65 C. It is normal for the AMD to work in this range. It is only after this mark that on has to worry. It is a good idea to have atleast one case fan to throw the hot air out of the casing. if if it is advisable to keep atleast one of the side casings open. dont worry abt it reaching temparature of 60-65 C. Almost all my PC's in the office which are not in an A/C room work in that range, and have not yey given any problems working for atleast 6 mths now.The work time is almost 10 hrs. The PC at home works at 62C for around 12-16 hrs as both me and my bro are ardent gamers.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds