Skip to main content

Information Given to the Websites?

More
14 years 4 months ago #32944 by FishNBone
Hi!!

Will our information be given when we go to a website? As it seems that our location will be taken by them.

Why do they need to do that?

Thank you!
More
14 years 4 months ago #32953 by S0lo

Will our information be given when we go to a website? As it seems that our location will be taken by them.

The least that can be known by a website is your IP (or typically your ISP box IP). You can't hide this unless you use a TRUSTED proxy or web proxy.

With your IP known, many "Whois" services offer exact map locationing of an IP. Well it's not always exact, but they can know your ISP and country/city.

Other info that can or can not be gathered depend on how hard/easy your security/privacy settings are configured in your browser and how much the browser is programmed to give. What, plugins and helper addins are installed on the browser and what Java/ActiveX components did you allow to run.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 4 months ago #32955 by FishNBone
Hi!

Thanks for explaining to me!

However when you say that unless you use a trusted proxy or web proxy, do our internet service providers counted as that?

Also, is websense a proxy server too?

Thank you!
More
14 years 4 months ago #32958 by S0lo

Hi!

Thanks for explaining to me!

However when you say that unless you use a trusted proxy or web proxy, do our internet service providers counted as that?

Typically no. Your ISP is not a proxy server. Unless they explicitly provide this service. In fact, proxy servers are usually blocked by some ISPs because they can bypass ISP's filtering.

Also, is websense a proxy server too?

As far as I know, It's not a proxy server. It's mainly a filtering server. Some ISPs use it to block certain services and websites.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 4 months ago #32967 by FishNBone
Ic Ic thanks solo!

I have checked on google about leak test, in my definition is that it checks if there is any data flowing out of your system without your notice, is that right?

And even though i know that information is flowing out, what actions must I take in order to prevent it? Cause it seems that sometimes I have the feeling that my information is leaking out somehow.

Plus, grc.com provides the program to run leak test, and it says that my firewall is penetrated, how did that happen? Didn't I switch it on? How do they penetrated it?

Grateful to All!!
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds