Skip to main content

VLAN Tutorials!!

More
17 years 2 months ago #19137 by NetIvy
VLAN Tutorials!! was created by NetIvy
Hi All,

Well recently i was going thru the tutorials available in f.cx, they were really exhaustive and indepth.Helped me in refreshing my basics,in particular the one related to VLAN under Networking. The pictorial representations helped alot in knowing things better. I wish to add a few points so as to improve on the already excellant VLAN tutorial.:

1]I don find anywer in the whole VLAN tutorial , mentioned tat VLAN 1 is the default VLAN on a switch and all the ports on a switch belong to VLAN1 unless changed.Although this is jus a basic info, it cud help a netw newbie a lot. Some examples also quote VLANs created on VLAN1, Although best practices from Cisco say tat VLAN configuration shud start with VLAN 2, as VLAN1 is the default VLAN of the switch and shud be used as the administrative VLAN.Although this cud be changed it s not recomended by Cisco!!

2] The theory and diagrams do serve ter purpose in enlightening , but cud be enhanced by providing configuration details on VLANs
lik the commands to assign ports to a VLAN,commands to configure trunk ports, tagging protocols etc. It wud make this tutuorial more complete

I m not complaing, this is jus a suggestion to make this site the best ever!!! 8)

Thnx and keep up the gud work!!
NetIvy 8)

Ps: Hope im posting in the rite forum. 8)

Live life lik ters no tomrw!!!
More
17 years 2 months ago #19138 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: VLAN Tutorials!!

2] The theory and diagrams do serve ter purpose in enlightening , but cud be enhanced by providing configuration details on VLANs
lik the commands to assign ports to a VLAN,commands to configure trunk ports, tagging protocols etc. It wud make this tutuorial more complete

Hi NetIvy, thanks for the comments on the tutorial. Just to pick up note 2 above, the tutorials are only there to explain the theory behind the topics in question in order to give someone the understanding of the concepts. To explain each and ever command contained within each tutorial would probably be a little overkill. Don't know, maybe something for the future to write more tutorials that does go into specific configuration scenario's but perhaps this could be part of the Cisco Lab's as they mature and more tutorials are added to the labs ?

Its all good though getting feedback from everyone so keep them coming :)

Ps: Hope im posting in the rite forum. 8)

Yup, your post is in the correct forum :)

Thanks for the comments

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 2 months ago #19139 by NetIvy
Replied by NetIvy on topic Re: VLAN Tutorials!!
Hi Smurf,

Thnx 4 the reply, cud u also comment on the VLAN1 thing i said. Dont you feel tat v r missing a point by not mentioning tat VLAN1 is a default and administrative VLAN and Cisco recommends not using VLAN1 for anything other than administrative functions(although most examples in the tutorial do quote VLAN1 as another functional VLAN).

Thnx
NetIvy 8)

More
17 years 2 months ago #19142 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: VLAN Tutorials!!
Chris is the one really who would need to comment since he did all the tutorials.

I would say that you may have a good point, however, they are supposed to be general guides on the concepts of what is being discussed. I know this site is more focused on Cisco since its almost ready to launch a Cisco lab, however other vendors may implement different default VLAN's and maybe thats why its not mentioned ?

VLAN 1 is just another VLAN its just that Cisco recommend that it be used just for Management. Also, there are security reasons why its not used and it also is the Default Native VLAN when stuff is being trunked. These are all just recommendations as VLAN 1 is still a usable VLAN.

Just a thought :)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

More
17 years 2 months ago #19144 by NetIvy
Replied by NetIvy on topic thnx!
Ofcourse Smurf, i do kno tat v can use VLAN1 lik any other VLAN. Jus tot it wud be better if v put in a hint.

Anyways u ppl r doing a great job.!!!

Jus doin my lil bit 8)

thnx

NetIvy 8)

More
17 years 2 months ago #19145 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: thnx!

Jus doin my lil bit 8)

It all helps so keep it up :)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds