Skip to main content

Buying a used Cisco 1548M managed switch

More
18 years 11 months ago #8636 by MezzUp
Hi everybody,

I just saw this offer on eBay: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a...&ssPageName=WDVW
I've never ever used a Cisco device and don't need a switch, but I want to learn the cisco console interface and experiment with VLANs and STP.
Think this is a good device for that?

Any comments welcome, MezzUp
More
18 years 10 months ago #8807 by LooseCannon
Looks decent enough. I checked out the specs on it from cisco.com and it sounds like it can do all the basics like VLANS, STP, etc. Other than that it seems to be pretty barebones. Not sure if you plan on getting into the CCNA curriculum from Cisco or not but if so I would recommend trying to track down a 2950 series switch, which unfortunately will cost more.

I know you mentioned wanting to learn more about STP and VLANs but an alternative, that will still get you familar with the Cisco IOS commands would be to get a Cisco router instead as the 2500 series routers are dirt cheap and are excellent tools for learning. In fact most of the CCNA lab material can be used on one of these puppies, aside from the switching material. Or you might want to try a router simulator instead before you throw $100 down on a switch you might not really need.

On a side note I have been looking around for some routers and switches on eBay as the CCNP simulators are garbage :(.

Even in my labs at school we have to change the IOS images sometimes to use certain features that are available on only certain IOS versions. It is a real headache.
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds