Skip to main content

career advice would be appreciated

More
19 years 8 months ago #4789 by s0berage
i am getting my diploma in computer and network support technician, which is pretty much administering win2k/xp/linux/unix environments, subnetting and creating networks, using active directory and programming applications in C/VB/Javascript.

now thats all fine and dandy but most help desk jobs i see out there require an A+ and MSCE cert.

are these good to get for a wannabe network administrator?
all the IT tech support is moving to India nowadays so Im thinking if I am wasting my time?

Frustration is setting in. It seems like all I am doing is spending money for tuition and supplies, and not even getting anything in return.

I hear burger king is hiring :)

hi
More
19 years 8 months ago #4795 by Chris
s0berage,

The A+ and Network+ certs are certainly not requirements for any Administrator. The fact is that most Administrator's start off as technicians, repairing and upgrading Pc's, picking up valuable experience for the future.

At this stage, the A+ and Net+ will certainly prove useful, and since from what I understand, your just starting out, it would be a good idea to sit for them.

Personally, I believe that the exams are very easy and wouldn't require more than 2 months if you study on a daily basis, but it would also depend on you current level of knowledge and how fast you can absorb the material.

Closing, whichever way you look at it, I wouldn't call it a waist of time or money, as they will prove useful at some point in the future.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 8 months ago #4802 by Nitix
Knowledge never goes waste dude !!
Theres a start for everything. A+ and N+ are the prerequisites. I know couple of people who have their MCSE but dont know the diff between a RD and SD ram modules !!

I started from A+ and then gradually ended up by having my MCSE and CCNA certs.

so i dont see y u shud be frustrated.. go on with your MCSA / MCSE

Nitish R
Systems Engineer
----||----||----||----
More
19 years 8 months ago #4805 by s0berage
2 days after posting this i get two interview callbacks for help desk analyst positions :) ....thanks for the advice guys.

hi
More
19 years 7 months ago #4921 by d_adamsaust
What did the IT Graduate say to the Business Graduate?

Will you have fries with that Sir.

In Australia there are more IT jobs advertised than in the past...
6 months ago about 60 a week on "Seek" now about 150 a week
with more realistic expectations for qualifications.

May be things are getting better?
More
19 years 7 months ago #4923 by Chris
Adam,

Are things really picking up back in Australia?

I remember back on November 2001 when I left Sydney (still miss that place!) IT jobs were very hard to find and the salaries didn't seem that promising.

After almost 3 years ... seems like Australia will be attracting once more overseas IT contractors!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds