Skip to main content

New to networking

More
15 years 4 months ago #28507 by crazddrumr
New to networking was created by crazddrumr
Hey guys,

This is my first post. Let me begin by giving a quick background of myself. I'm a young IT professional at the age of 23. I've already landed my first IT job as a systems analyst at the USCG Headquarters in Washington DC.

I currently possess the A+ certification but just recently started preparing for my CCNA. The further I plunge into the IT field I quickly realize that the networking side is the only aspect of IT keeping my interest. Don't get me wrong, I like to read up on other areas and have an interest, but networking seems to be the only side that I can see myself doing as a day-to-day job. Does anybody else feel the way I do?

Well that pretty much sums it up. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I like forward to participating in the forums.

Chris
More
15 years 4 months ago #28527 by novembre
Replied by novembre on topic Re: New to networking
Hey there,

Welcome to Firewall.cx - CCNA sounds like a good idea for you. Once you've done that and had a bit of hands on experience you will hopefully get idea of where you want to take your Networking career and what study / job you should approach next. Remember that whilst Cisco is dominate there are other players and certs out there aswell.

I feel the same way, Networking is the only thing I can do full time, actually to go further Carrier Scale networking is the only thing that really interests me. But that said my Linux knowledge is often needed in an ISP environment and even some Windows admin stuff unfortunately. So keep your skills up there aswell, it is nice to be self-reliant especially with your own project work - it also looks good to employers. Anyway, if you're a nice, reasonably intelligent person who is seriously keen on this technology then you will kick ass in this industry.

My advice for you would be to grab dynamips and just thrash it out in a virtual lab, it's the best way to make the CCNA stuff stick.
More
15 years 4 months ago #28528 by Kajitora
Replied by Kajitora on topic Re: New to networking
Hey Chris,

Welcome to Firewall.cx, although im still new here myself. I feel the same way! At the beginning of 2008 I had just a MCP and a A+. By March I had my CCNA, and a network engineering job by June. Now I am one test away from a CCNP. The Cisco certifcations are highly respected in this industry, and they will take you far. Its sad how few of us truly enjoy network, if you have it in you to live and breath it you will do extremly well.

~Charles

itgamers.blogspot.com
More
15 years 4 months ago #28548 by valkyrnash
Replied by valkyrnash on topic Re: New to networking
I have to say that after almost 3 years in the IT industry, the CCNA would have served me much better in the beginning, instead of just now:wink:. While being a good tech can advance you through the ranks and into networking, taking the initiative to get your CCNA will get you there sooner and introduce you to interesting material and the best part is you get to skip having to deal with 99% of the user community. I have my CCENT and will be taking the ICND2 the first week of January. I feel that the CCNA has been the most interesting information I have studied, and I have learned the most studying for it than any other certification. Good luck to you all.
More
15 years 4 months ago #28589 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: New to networking

The further I plunge into the IT field I quickly realize that the networking side is the only aspect of IT keeping my interest. Don't get me wrong, I like to read up on other areas and have an interest, but networking seems to be the only side that I can see myself doing as a day-to-day job.

I think Jeremy Stretch says it best:
"It is my belief that to truly understand data networks, becoming a jack of all trades is not only beneficial, but necessary." - packetlife.net/about/
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds