Skip to main content

Academic cerdit of Cisco certifications

More
17 years 8 months ago #16796 by Xpert5
Hi
Can cisco certifications like CCNA and CCDA help you get into gradguate coures in Network Engineering,Communications Engineering programs or MSc in IT without a BSc. in any related field.
More
17 years 8 months ago #16800 by Starfire
I Wouldn't have thought so. Uni level education is all about background and width of knowledge as opposed to very specific knowledge in a certain field.

Say for instance a CCIE with 10 years in the field. Very excellent knowledge of networking but what about english, science and maths which all come into play for advanced studies.

If this person already had a degree then that would be a different matter as they already have that level of study. Bizzarly (sp?), a degree is just considered a basic qualification in the advanced study field such as Masters, Doctorate, etc.

If you are interested in getting a more formal qualification to go along with your professional qualies then I would suggest Open University (if in the UK) where you can study for the basic qualification of a degree. Even with no higher school/colledge qualifications, your professional experience would jump you straight into that easily.

Any university staff site members have knowledgable info on this ?
More
17 years 8 months ago #16807 by Starfire
Scratch that ! What I said above is wrong...

I spoke to a friend at work who has just completed her Masters and she didn't have a degree to start with.

Apparantly higher education establishments are crying out for the extra money that can come with adult / distance learning.

Basically what happens is you find a course somewhere that you are interested in doing and then look at the syllabus and check out the distance learning possibilities of the course.

The tutor will than have a meeting with you to discuss what you have already including professional qualifications and experience and negotiate what modules you can do and what you don't need to do. I was right in saying that it depends on your ability to study but you have proved that with whatever certification you have.

For instance, if you were doing a computer science degree there would be little point in doing the first year networking module to learn about the OSI layer and IP, etc.

She recommended that you just treat the whole thing as a hobby as it will still take several years to complete. After 4 years of her nursing Msc she was done after completing just 1 or 2 modules a year. She also explained the different levels of higher education qualifications in that a degree is them teaching you and then you just regurgitate it back to them. A Masters is just regurgitating it back but with your own slant on it and a Phd is you coming up with something new in your own field.

Got me interested in this now :))

Hope that helps.
More
17 years 8 months ago #16808 by Smurf
Sounds good to me also. I have been interested in doing a Masters (eventually a PhD) in the security area, unfortunatley i haven't found anything suitable as yet.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds