Skip to main content

Any suggestion on other ports to deny?

More
18 years 10 months ago #8872 by DaLight
I agree with TheBishop and eddydreni. It may seem a bit scary locking down all outgoing ports by default, but it's the best way to go. It gives you full control and knowledge of what's going out of your system. I did it about a year ago on my network and after the initial configuration issues, it works like a dream. You will probably find that most of your users require ports 80(HTTP) and 443(HTTPS) and you can add the others as required.
More
18 years 10 months ago #8907 by sahirh
"That which is not expressly permitted is disallowed"

I cannot overstate this enough -- If you follow the other axiom

"That which is not expressly denied is permitted"

Then you do *not* have an access control solution.

I'm afraid if you want security, you'll have to work with those developers, maybe in a testbed setup...

Developers always make these mistakes.. even when coding they blacklist certain inputs and allow everything else.. when they should be whitelisting only valid input and denying everything else.

There are two very simple weaknesses in your access-control strategy

1) Attackers can easily change the default ports in backdoors to ports that your filtering device allows

2) You cannot feasibly respond to a new threat working on a new port in human-time (think slammer -- 8 minutes for total infection worldwide)...

Cheers mate,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
18 years 10 months ago #8972 by UHSsncmrm
I agree whole-heartedly it's just getting buy-in to make those wholesale changes (unfortunately.)

A scapegoat is often as welcome as a solution...never memorize what you can look up.
More
18 years 10 months ago #8973 by Lexion
Does your current firewall support logging if so have a look in it.

I would go about trying to turn the firewall round in this way.

Create a allow all rule and enable logging.

once I start to get data in the log I would see what I know is legit traffic and create a rule above the default allow rule and keep clearing the log till I have gotten as much legit traffic as possible.

This may take some time but once you have weeded out what you know is good you can then start to track down some of the ports that you are unsure of then turn the default allow rule into a default deny all and you should be all sorted.
More
18 years 10 months ago #8988 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Yes
What a great suggestion!
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds