Skip to main content

VLAN on Catalyst 2924

More
19 years 9 months ago #4526 by mcduck
VLAN on Catalyst 2924 was created by mcduck
What I'm trying to do is to take certain ports on (initially) one Catalyst 2924 switch and put them on their own VLAN to cut down on network traffic. I need for these ports (servers) to be able to communicate with each other, as well as along their current outbound routes. I have added int VLAN2 to the configuration of the switch and have tested adding a few ports to that vlan, but I need to figure out what is left to accomplish so that they don't stop communicating with each other and the rest of the world. If the current IP address of the switch is 192.168.1.x and VLAN1 is using that, I take it I would need to set VLAN2 to a different subnet such as 192.168.2.x. The actual addresses are public, but I'm just giving an example here. What else would need to be done?

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kevin
More
19 years 9 months ago #4543 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: VLAN on Catalyst 2924
Kevin,

Welcome to our wonderful networking community!

Your problem falls under the famous Inter-Vlan routing topic which is about to be published hopefully during this weekend. The topic contains all the information you require to understand all the 'why and how's ' but I have not yet written the command line references required to succesfully set it up.

Whichever the case, I'll briefly describe what you need to get you going:

In order for Inter-Vlan routing to work there are a few requirements which must be met. Perhaps the most important is a layer 3 capable switch which will provide you with the 'routing' functionality you require at speeds supported by the switche's fabric.

There is however one problem here .... the Catalyst 2924 (from memory) will not support Inter-VLAN routing! You will require at least a 3550 series Catalyst switch with either Standard Multilayer Image (SMI) - 12.1(11)EA1 and later or any Enhanced Multilayer Image (EMI) software installed.

Since you are not able to perform Inter-VLAN routing through the switch, you must use an external device that will perform the routing for you. This can either be a router or a server/pc (ip routing enabled) with two network interface cards - one for each Vlan.

If you let us know what solution your going to select, we'll be able to provide more specific information for you.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds