Skip to main content

Need Help regarding DoS attacks

More
12 years 11 months ago #36872 by sarmadsoomro
Dear Friends,

I am running a Counter Strike: Source game server on udp 27015 using windows 2003, at back end i am using ipcop 1.4.21, i am facing several DoS attacks on my server like (spp_frag3) Fragmentation overlap and (spp_frag3) Teardrop attack, due to these attack my ISP has blocked my ip because attacker is sending more than 50MB/sec and they cant bear huge amount of data. can you tell me how to prevent these attacks.

Thanks
More
12 years 11 months ago #36873 by sose
May be if you had properly complained to your ISP that you are facing a DOS attack, they could help you fish out the source IPs and block them before the attack gets to you0r pipe

There are also techniques to mitigate against this attacks such as setting embryonic limits on the firewalls that support such feature, agreeing a CIR (Committed Information Rate) on your link with your ISP to try and limit Ping traffic, etc going down the link, it’s like a QoS on that link. If you are using a Cisco pix one can specify a function called emb_lim (embryonic limit) because the attack sets the target host in an embryonic state emb_lim (Optional) Specifies the maximum number of embryonic connections per host. The default is 0, which means unlimited embryonic connections. Limiting the number of embryonic connections protects you from a DoS attack. The security appliance uses the embryonic limit to trigger TCP Intercept, which protects inside systems from a DoS attack perpetrated by flooding an interface with TCP SYN packets. An embryonic connection is a connection request that has not finished the necessary handshake between source and destination. This option does not apply to outside NAT. The security appliance only tracks connections from a higher security interface to a lower security interface. If you set the embryonic limit for outside NAT, the embryonic limit will be ignored.
More
12 years 11 months ago #36875 by sarmadsoomro
I have applied following rules, tell me is it helpful and resolve my problem. i dont have enough knowledge about iptables

$IPT -N logattacker
$IPT -A logattacker -j LOG --log-prefix "SRCDS:ATTACK " --log-ip-options -m limit --limit 2/sec
$IPT -A logattacker -j DROP
$IPT -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 27015 -m length --length 0:32 -j logattacker
More
12 years 11 months ago #36882 by sose
Unfortunately I dont do iptables but there are guys in the house that can tackle your problem. And this youtube video will help you too

have a nice time
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds