Skip to main content

Adding a firewall to the domain

More
20 years 1 month ago #3022 by Tony
Hello all,

I just ned to know something, I'm running a simply workgroup with 1 workstation and 1 Server. I've installed and configured ISA server which acts and my DHCP and Caching only DNS server. All is working fine but I'm in the process of installing a domain and was wondering if it is safe to add the ISA server to the domain or just leave it as part of the workgroup???

Thanks.
More
20 years 1 month ago #3043 by Chris
Tony,

I haven't worked with ISA for a long time and I am not aware of the functionality it provides when incorporating it into a Domain.

Whichever the case, since its considered to be a 'firewall' I don't beleive that you will gain a lot from adding it to a domain. I'm sure if any of our members has used ISA, they will be able to provide a more acurate and detailed answer.

Alternatively you could turn towards microsoft's site and see what information they provide for the specific version of ISA you have, to help you decide what actions you should take.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 1 month ago #3044 by sahirh
Well it depends on what you want to do with it in the domain.. theres not really much domain level management that applies to a firewall.. for example users / groups etc are not really such a consideration.

I would keep it standalone.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #3059 by MaXiMuS
Replied by MaXiMuS on topic hi
Well , considering the network which you have (1 workstation , 1 server) , i dont really think that u need to add it to a domain . I dont know about ISA but in case of certain services like Certificate services , u are not allowed to change the domain name after you have installed the service. I'd suggest that u let your server remain in the workgroup itself, however if u want to experiment , do go ahead and let us know the results as well :lol:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds