Skip to main content

Can Pix firewall configured with ADSL Modem

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30109 by rizin
Hi guys,

I just want to make VPN and give access to remote xp to my home xp professional which has ADSL Modem.

My Quesion is can i able to do this by using Cisco Pix Firewall 501.

Will Pix Firewall able to override buying dedicated IP from ISP.

Your suggestion are highly appreciable.

Thanks,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30113 by ZiPPy
Rizin,

When you say...

Will Pix Firewall able to override buying dedicated IP from ISP.

Are you asking if you can setup the PIX with a static IP the ISP gave you? Or can you setup a PIX without a static IP?

Having a static IP would of course be the easiest and best of choice, but many users have dynamic. Yes, you can setup a PIX501 with a dynamic IP, but you will have to update the firewall accordingly as your IP changes.

Am I correct guys? I have a PIX501 myself, and have been meaning to set it up with a dynamic IP.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30134 by rizin
Hi zippy,

Thanks for your reply, Yeah u r right that i want to use dynamic ip which was provided by ISP, for static i should look into dyndns.

Would you mind tell those configuration and setup of PIX 501 using ADSL Modem router with Both ISP Dynamic IP, and Dyndns IP Addresses.

I have the knowledge of Cisco commands, Will it be the same in PIX 501.

Sorry to ask about the Basic Model Queries and kindly bear with me.

More
15 years 1 week ago #30157 by S0lo
Hi rizin

I hope I understand it well here.

i want to use dynamic ip which was provided by ISP, for static i should look into dyndns.

Would you mind tell those configuration and setup of PIX 501 using ADSL Modem router with Both ISP Dynamic IP, and Dyndns IP Addresses.

You probably know the following, but just in case,

DynDNS will give you a fixed DNS name (say myserver.dyndns.com) for your dynamic IP that you got from your ISP. It works this way: every time your ADSL modem router gets a new IP from the ISP, the modem automatically logs-in to your DynDNS account and updates the mapping for your myserver.dyndns.com to map to the new IP.

Now, if you want to simply access your home pc (using say remote desktop protocol). Then you need to configure port forwarding on your ADSL modem to forward port 3389 to your internal server IP. If the pix is before your server, then you might need and ACL and a static map.

On the other hand if you need to configure VPN while your pix is behind your ADSL then thats a longer story. Probably the easiest way to configure VPN is using SDM, but you'll probably need to do some changes on your ADSL modem too. You could also configure VPN directly on the modem if it supports it instead of the pix.

So tell us what do you want to do, with some explanation about your current configs and how things are connected.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 1 week ago #30205 by cisco-tips
We don't know also if the ADSL modem acts as bridge or as a router. If the ADSL modem acts as a router, then the PIX 501 behind it will have a static private address (e.g 192.168.1.1) which will communicate with the "inside" interface of the ADSL modem. The "outside" interface of the ADSL modem will have the ISP dynamic IP address.

Now if the ADSL modem works as a bridge, then the dynamic ISP IP address will be assigned directly on the "outside" interface of the PIX 501.

Indeed we need to know more details about your setup
More
14 years 11 months ago #30322 by rizin
Hi All,

Lot of thanks for your replies, i was bit busy with my works, that is the reason i wouldn't able to answer your replies, Sorry for that.

My scenario is Two servers in different location, as everyone knows that ISP will not provide free static IP.

I have Linksys ADSL Modem router. i want to access the resources vice versa on both servers through VPN Connection.

Assume I got two Dyndns static Free IP Address and New Pix 500 Series Firewall.

What would be the next here i got stuck ?

Sorry buddies i can understand that it is really a knowledge of job and i feel bit shame also that im learing from your hard effort gained knowledge.

However i myself dedicate to this forum to share any Knowledge i had learned across in my career, and i will try my best to share my knowledge and experience.

Rizin.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds