Skip to main content

processes accessing a disk

More
20 years 1 month ago #2936 by pndennie
Does anyone know of any tools that can let me know which processes are accessing the hard drives on a Windows 2000 server?
More
20 years 1 month ago #2938 by sahirh
Go get yourself NTFileMon from www.sysinternals.com
shows you all the processes that have a handle to the hard disk. You can filter the output as well

I used that to figure out how MSN messenger displays banner ads.. I watched it and noticed that MSN has a hook to a file called 'links.txt' in your profile directory/local settings/temp
I have a look at that file.. deleted everything in it, and then made the file read only... now MSN doesnt give me banner ads :)

There is also RegMon which shows you all registry accesses..

Both together are very useful to figure out things like where a program stores its license keys etc

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #2948 by MaXiMuS
hey sahir ,
a lil while back , in installed win2k server on my machine and played around with it a lil.. i noticed that using the task manager i could see a lot of processes depending upon the services running , however i could not kill few of those processes. I then installed a utility called win 2k administration tools ( digit Magazine) and using one of its features i could actually now kill those processes which i earlier could not ..... any ideas ??
More
20 years 1 month ago #2949 by indebluez
hi guys...what banner ads?
i dont get any banner ads on messenger...isit at the bottom of the friend list window or?
i am using spy hunter now ...and feel that its much better than spybot:search and destroy.......it detects the parasites even in the registry.....and memory....
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds