Skip to main content

Tracing emails

More
20 years 1 month ago #3075 by Cheetah
Replied by Cheetah on topic Re: Tracing emails
Hi

A very nice tutorial on how to do this can be found here ;)

www.visualware.com/whitepapers/tutorials/email.html

Regards
Cheetah

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
<i>The outcome of devotion is, quality!</i>
More
20 years 1 month ago #3076 by indebluez
Replied by indebluez on topic Re: Tracing emails
wow cool guys:) thanx...how do i do a whois?
like i have the ip address....how do i do a whois?
More
20 years 1 month ago #3078 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Tracing emails
The way the whois system works is there are regional registrars.. one for America (ARIN), Europe (RIPE), Asia (APNIC).. and then there are smaller ones for latin america (LACNIC) etc etc.. basically each of them assigns IPs to various ISPs based on geographcial location.. visiting any of their sites will let you run a whois query.. if they havent allocated it, yuo'll see a line such as

NetType: Allocated to APNIC

so you know you need to whois at APNIC. That said, there are plenty of 'smart' whois programs that will query the right one (or all) for the reply. There is also the magic database that will query the right one. Many websites have an online tool that will do the query.. try samspade.org (download their software as well, its great and has an intelligent whois).

After a while you'll be able to tell pretty much where an IP comes from based on how it 'looks'... I know this sounds odd but if you see a 202.x.y.z or a 203.x.y.z IP you know its Asia, the 66.x.y.z ranges are America.. European IP's 'feel' different..

Dead serious.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor &amp; Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds