Skip to main content

Remote desktop access on WAN …

More
16 years 8 months ago #23136 by chitti
Hi all I am trying to connect remotely to my friends laptop who is using wireless network at his home (same as I do), but the problem is I don’t know how to start off , few people say I need to configure my router (HUB) in order to get the connectivity and some say that I need to have some knowledge on VPN before I try this things,

It would be very helpful if some one can guide me from the scratch(Basic).

Thanks,
Chitti
More
16 years 8 months ago #23138 by KiLLaBeE
Not sure if I can help you from scratch since I haven't done this test in my environment (although I have read a lot about it), but the following will have to be done:

First, do you want to connect to his laptop to help him with something, in other words, do you want to connect to the laptop AND be able to see what he is doing on the screen so you can help him with something (called remote assistance in Microsoft terminology) OR do you want to connect to the laptop and run it as if you were sitting there (without his intervention)?

I've heard a lot of people use VNC for remote connection over a WAN, but I haven't tested that so I can't explain.

Assuming you will be using Windows XP and you want to connect to his laptop to achieve the first result (remote assistance), you will need to do the following (sorry, I can't provide you with step by step instructions right now since I'm on a linux machine, but i'll do my best from memory):

He will do the following:

1. Go to System properties, click the Remote tab, and check the box that reads "allow invitations to be sent from this computer." Then go to Windows Help and Support (found on the Start menu)

2. There will be a link there that says something like "remote assistance," or "request assistance"........click it and follow the on screen instructions. He will eventually be asked on how he wants to send the invitation and he will send it (i prefer to send it as a file [attachment on an email]).

3. If he has ICS or ICF setup on your computer, you will need to enable the remote assistance/remote connection service or port on the Windows Firewall (port 3389, but ICF has a simple check box that you work with to allow it). If he has a router in front of your computer, he will need to enable port forwarding for port 3389. That basically forwards Internet traffic (in this case, remote assistance packets) from the Internet (your computer, in this case) to the port on his computer.

At this point, his computer is ready to receive remote assistance

Your side
1. You will receive the file and you will double click on it. You may be prompted to enter a password (if he set it up like that). You will eventually connect and you will be able to chat with him and send files back and forth while connected.

If you want to establish a remote connection and feel as if you are working right on the computer (without his intervention), then the following will need to be done:

He will on his computer
1. Go to System Properties and click the Remote tab and check the box that reads "allow other to connect remotely to this machine" (something along those lines). He will click the button that reads something like "specify users" (the button that allows you to enter the usernames that can connect remotely to the computer.

2. He sets up the port forwardings on his side

You will on your computer
1. go to Start > Run, type mstsc and the window that pops up, type his IP address of his computer and you will be prompted for the credentials to the system.

2. You should connect

Again, the above is a from memory version of the directions on how to do it........for more detailed instructions, Microsoft, Google, and Windows help are your friends
More
16 years 8 months ago #23140 by Smurf
good answer :)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 8 months ago #23143 by GTM
Another thing you may want to take a look at is a web tool called log me in there is a free version and is quite simple to use. Go to the site and create yourself an account. From your friends pc add the computer to your account from then on you will be able to see when the pc is online and connect straight into it. Just a thought.
More
16 years 8 months ago #23145 by Smurf
There is also GotoMyPC which does a similar thing to Logmein.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 8 months ago #23147 by KiLLaBeE
Yeah, but I think GoToMyPC costs $, right? Where as Log me in doesn't.....my buddy at work uses it.......its pretty impressive.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds