Skip to main content

Block Yahoo Messenger

More
16 years 11 months ago #22289 by pp1dt
Block Yahoo Messenger was created by pp1dt
can anyone help me with the ACL to block yahoo messenger for my cisco 1841 router, we have about 20 users sharing the 128kbps connections.

some of the staff are typing the message none stop that why we are looking into blocking the yahoo messenger and google gtalk, thanks in advance! :(
More
16 years 11 months ago #22291 by yadav
Replied by yadav on topic Re: Block Yahoo Messenger
u cant block the messenger using Router........for that u need to purchase any UTM deveice or websense software...................
More
16 years 11 months ago #22292 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Block Yahoo Messenger

u cant block the messenger using Router........for that u need to purchase any UTM deveice or websense software...................

This is because Messenger application (and many many more such as P2P applications) can now tunnel through open ports, more commonly port 80. With the addition of a UTM or something like Websense, it can monitor the HTTP traffic and block anything that is trying to tunnel through it.

A cheap solution to this problem could be something like ISA 2006. THis allows filtering of HTTP traffic so you can added different UserAgents to identify this type of traffic. For things like MS Messenger, its sends a UserAgent that identifies the traffic, this you can detect and block accordingly.

Here is a website i wrote (and unfortunatley haven't had time to develop it and maintain it) www.applicationsignatures.com/backend/index.php . I may actually do a little work on it at some point....who knows :) , it has some application signatures that can be used with MS ISA in this manor.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 11 months ago #22293 by skepticals
Have you thought about blocking MS Messenger from the running in the first place? Maybe block the application from being installed/running?
More
16 years 10 months ago #22317 by pp1dt
Replied by pp1dt on topic Re: Block Yahoo Messenger
Thanks everyone for the reply, look like I have to look into MS ISA server.

:cry:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds