Skip to main content

I need help with history, cookies, cache

More
17 years 3 months ago #19165 by eckogirl814
I'm having a problem with someone deleting history, cookies, and cache. How can I stop this?

I use Mozilla, Netscape, and IE(not sure which one, maybe 7?) Mozilla is the main one though. Anyway can I make it so they cannot delete these files, or someone recommend making a batch file to copy them to another place as well. The thing is, I am not very computer smart obviously, I do know that i could check the dat files, except they are pretty computer savvy and get around everything. So I figured having an extra folder they were stored in as well was so simple they would not think of that.

what can I do. I need to find out what is going on with the user.
More
17 years 3 months ago #19168 by NetIvy
Hi eckogirl814,

I think the best thing to solve this issue wud be not to give administrator access to others. Only ppl with administrator login or privileges can delete cookies , caches and history. Give them just user profiles in the PC with minimum privileges This will keep u one step ahead of ur smart users!!!

Thnx

NetIvy 8)

Live life lik ters no tomrw!!!
More
17 years 3 months ago #19170 by Smurf
Is that correct ? The Internet Cache is stored in the user profile which users have full access to, even without admin rights so i dont think that it will make any difference.

I could be wrong though.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 3 months ago #19174 by NetIvy
Ur r rite smurf.. an user can delete his history, cookies and cache without administrative rights.

Sorry of posting without checking.

I think the only solution to this prob is using some 3rd party software ( i have seen some net cafes doing tat,blocking users from deleting the history and cache but not sure wat software they used).

i think u can also do it by modifying the registry, although its above the scope of my knowledge.

Hope somebody cud enlighten!

Thnx
NetIvy 8)

Live life lik ters no tomrw!!!
More
17 years 3 months ago #19175 by Smurf
I cannot find anything out there to stop the deleting of the Internet History, infact there are loads of software tools on the market to clear up the browsing history but not to prevent this.

You can get some software that will track what the users are doing, however this type of software usually also employs Keystroke Logging aswell which is probably going a little too far in a corporate (work) network.

Is this question related to a corporate environment or are you talking about something at home to keep track of kids ?

If we are talking the corporate environment then you are probably looking at something that will monitor the web traffic at a proxy level and enforce policies to restrict what employees are going to. You will be able to look through central logs then to see what sites are being accessed.

Also, just normal proxy servers (for example MS ISA) will also log users URL's that they are visiting so you can acheive the same thing here.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 3 months ago #19176 by Starfire
In the corporate environment, we would always just look at the web logs and filter on ip/mac address to get an accurate list of what a particular person was up to.

If it's a shared PC it could be a different matter. You would need to know who was using it and at what times.

If it is actually the PC that you don't want this happening on then ask yourself if you are within your rights (in talks with department head etc) to cut internet access to the PC until whoever is causing the problem stops being a smarta$$. You are after all the one who is supplying IT support.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds