Skip to main content

X-Box - How to detect if it is on your network?

More
18 years 7 months ago #10289 by MudVayne
nnbnbIs there a simple way to detect if an X-Box is connected to a LAN? I have tried pinging the IP address of the X-Box but I get no replies, so I am assuming that Micro$oft has set them up to drop ICMP for some reason. The only way that I can tell if it is on is to look at my firewall connections and see if it is connected to XBox Live. I found a utility called:

Wi-Fi Defense - www.otosoftware.com/wireless.asp

This allows me to monitor all active nodes on my network giving me details as to how long a node has been connected and it appears to work by detecting MAC addresses but my trial is running out.

Am I having a brain fart here? There has got to be an easier way to tell if an XBox is on the network. I know I could just block XBox ports or deny it an IP by blocking the MAC address, but I was just hoping to get some input as to how other people deal with XBox. Are there any good FREEWARE utilities that are similar to Wi-Fi Defense? Any FREEWARE utilities that can monitor DHCP connections on a network? Any help would be appreciated.

-M
More
18 years 7 months ago #10300 by DaLight
I have not seen anything about X-Boxs blocking pings. Are you sure it's on the same subnet as your PC? The only way to monitor DHCP would be to have access to the device issuing the leases, which would be your router/firewall. Usually one of the admin pages will list the current DHCP leases. I found this site on X-box networking www.chefelf.com/xbox/networking.php . which may be useful.
More
18 years 7 months ago #10346 by MudVayne
Thanks for the reply, DaLight I will check it out and see if I can get this thing to show up on the radar.

-M
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds