Skip to main content

broadband woes

More
19 years 3 months ago #7239 by jackeen
broadband woes was created by jackeen
hi guys,

basically i have upgraded my broadband from adsl to cable,and have a few problems i need help on,when ihad adsl i accessed the internet through a dlink modem/router/switch/wap and nat was configured so all my pc could access the net together

now that i have cable the broadband company have supplied me with a modem which you cannot configure it has an ethernet port and usb port to which you are asigned you public ip address etc and u acess the internet that way,

what i want to know is how can i configure my old router to do nat on this connection so i can share the internet connection once again

my router supports multiple nat and static routing and a load a other things and my lan consists of a win 2003 dc and 3 xp pro machines

any help will be great appreciated
More
19 years 3 months ago #7246 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Broadband
Can you physically plug your old router into the LAN side of your new modem? (i.e. does the old router have an ethernet input or just a built-in DSL modem)
If you can, then it should just be a matter of setting up a suitable intermediate subnet between the two devices
More
19 years 3 months ago #7249 by jackeen
Replied by jackeen on topic Re: broadband woes
thanks for the reply

yes the router has a 4 port switch, i had it connected through crossover cable from the router to the modem and could access the internet that way but only on one pc
More
19 years 2 months ago #7282 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Broadband
The 4-port switch will be on the LAN side of your router. What you need is a way (if there is a way) of connecting the WAN (internet) side of it to the LAN side of your new modem. If your old router has an RJ45 port for it's WAN side you should just be able to plug in. If however your router only has a phone-line connector for the WAN side then I'm not sure you can do it using this device. You can get routers that have RJ45's both sides that do NAT, firewall, VPN and the whole works for around £100. Can anybody think of a way Jackeen can do this without spending any extra money?
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds