Skip to main content

Help with NAT and subnets

More
20 years 7 months ago #677 by tking357
I need some help. My current network consists of 4 computers and they are a workgroup. I have one running XP, one running W2K Adv Server, one running W2K server (this is multihomed with 3 NICs), One running red hat. I have DSL which is serviced with a cisco 675 DSL router. Two hubs one 10/100 and the other is 10 mbps. I use the 10 mbps hub to connect everything. The DSL, three windows computers and then the 10/100 hub and that then connects the Red Hat machine.

I want to use the W2K server that is multihomed to run NAT on it. I am a little lost when it comes to that. I think that I need to connect the DSL router to one of the nics, then the two hubs to the others. I want to make two subnets using private ip addresses and use the DSL as my gateway for all the subnets.

Would someone be willing to mentor me through this?

Thanks,
Tom
More
20 years 7 months ago #678 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Help with NAT and subnets
Mr King,

Can you provide an ASCII diagram of your setup ?

I was slightly lost by the time I got to the end of the question.

Ph, and what is the primary reason you would like to use NAT on the W2k server ? If its something specific your trying to achieve, it might need specific tuning, so give us as much detail as you can!

Cheers mate,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 7 months ago #679 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic question
Hey guys, I see tking357 has quite a setup going. What exactly is NAT? I heard of it before, what exactly is it? l8er.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
20 years 7 months ago #680 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Help with NAT and subnets
NAT = Network Address Translation.

This is used mainly for 2 things: 1) to hide your computers from the internet and 2) to allow you take one (or more) public address given to you by your ISP and use it with many computers. Saves you money and conserves IP Addresses.

There is a very detailed explanation of the subject on this site under the Firewalls menu at the top of this page. Go to "Network Address Translation" and start reading. Has color pictures and everything. And a picture (or many pictures) are worth a whole bunch of words. Very easy to understand.

Have fun.

Tom.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 7 months ago #681 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: Help with NAT and subnets
Zippy,

NAT stands for Network Address Translation.

It's covered in depth on the site, under the "Firewalls" menu.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 7 months ago #684 by tking357
Chris,

Thanks for responding. This is the way my network (ha ha) is setup at the present time. I want to make some changes and find that I could use some help. After the diag. I will explain (hopefully what it is that I what to achive.

Disregard the dashes.
How do you make and ASCII diag?

internet
|
|
|
Cisco 675
DSL router
|
|
Trend Net TE-800
10 Mbps 8 Port
Hub
+
+
+
XP
W2K
W2K
Netgear 10/100 4 Port
Adv
Server
Hub
Server----3 NIC Cards-|
|
Red Hat Workstation

The main purpose is to hide my network and use one address to present to the world. I think that you would call this a firewall.

I would like to use the W2K Server with three nics to use one for access to the internet with the 675 router. The ISP will not give me a static IP address. This will be the address that shows to the world.

The second nic to separate the upstairs network the (XP and W2K Adv server). I want to use the private range of IP addresses.
I want this to be a domain

The third nic to separate the downstairs network the Red Hat workstation.

I want to share the ISP router connection with all segments of the network. This will be my gateway.

Does this clarify my question?
[/img][img][/img]
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds