Skip to main content

Static VLAN config - how many hosts per port/VLAN?

More
19 years 5 months ago #6317 by gl0bal
Are you able to have more than one host connect to a port that is configured for a static VLAN.

Firewall.cx's material says:

When configuring ports on a switch to act as Access Links, we usually configure only one VLAN per port, that is, the VLAN our device will be allowed to access. If you recall the diagram below which was also present during the introduction of the VLAN concept, you'll see that each PC is assigned to a specific port

However the material does not specifically say you can only have one host/pc per port.

I have read that Dynamic VLAN's can specifically manage multiple hosts per port as long as all hosts are configured to use the same VLAN and that VLAN is assigned to that port - so your help regarding the static VLAN situation would be very useful.
[/quote]
More
19 years 5 months ago #6332 by gl0bal
Found the answer so hope my posting it saves you some time.

Intel's material at
support.intel.com/support/express/switches/460/31468.htm
says

Another advantage is if a hub is connected to a port that is part of a VLAN, all devices connected to the hub are also part of the VLAN. The disadvantage is that there is no way to exclude an individual device on that hub from becoming part of the VLAN.

So its exactly the same as for a Dynamic VLAN. Unfortunately my perfectionist/pedantic streak needed that explicitly spelled out. sigh...
More
19 years 5 months ago #6334 by Chris
Global,

I can confirm that you are able to plug a hub onto a Access Link configured for a specific VLAN, then all network devices that connect to the hub (or simple switch) will have access to that VLAN.

There is also a security setting by which you can limit the number of MAC addresses that can be used on that access link.

Hope that covers you.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 5 months ago #6335 by gl0bal
Cheers Chris - that was spelled out just right for me :)
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds