Skip to main content

I need two startup-config

More
19 years 5 months ago #6174 by netbaba
My boss ask me if is possible that a cisco's router has two startup config. and choose one on the router startup.
I don't think so... :roll:

Admin of Wellage Community
www.wellage.net
More
19 years 5 months ago #6175 by The_Berzerker
Being a CCNA and having worked for a couple of months on Cisco hardware i believe that this isn't possible, i don't know if Cisco has implemented this in any of its hardware
Hope i helped......
More
19 years 5 months ago #6180 by UHSsncmrm
you can use the config reg command (it think ) to tell the router where to load from like a remote server, then you can have it load multiple configs from there by renaming configs to the config name loaded in the config reg...not sure if that is the command. (not at once...lol)

or you can tftp the multiple configs to the hard disk and copy config 1 run, or copy config 2 run, then write mem in case of power loss, no reboot necessary in that case, config change is instant.

Figured I'd check, pasted below from live 2621

UHSBH#config ?
memory Configure from NV memory
network Configure from a TFTP network host
overwrite-network Overwrite NV memory from TFTP network host

Configreg is for telling the router which memory register to load the config from, I think you can save different configs to differnet entry points and start from ROMMON mode to load indivisual ones. Maybe not.

A scapegoat is often as welcome as a solution...never memorize what you can look up.
More
19 years 4 months ago #6497 by desaikn
As with the PC -BIOS startup sequence, router can also be given diff boot sequences with the command

router(config)#boot system <word> <config file name>
router(config)#boot system flash
router(config)#boot system tftp x.x.x.x
router(config)#boot system host

likewise.

What router will do is it will search 1st location for startup, will go to second location if not found on first one.

Might this be helpful partially to your requirement.
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds