Skip to main content

Sharing a DSL Connection for 2 machines.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5468 by laurie
Hello,
Right, never done this before personally, so just asking a few questions about it before I do it.
Cable comes out of phone jack, into little USB Hub thing, then into computer. Computer is XP. There is no Ethernet port on the USB Hub.
Now I ask you how do I share this connection, Will it involve a cross over cable and using ICS?
More
19 years 6 months ago #5472 by nske
yes, since it's only a usb modem your only choise is to connect it to a computer and share the connection from there with the second computer using ethernet cards and cross-over UTP cable.
More
19 years 6 months ago #5502 by laurie

yes, since it's only a usb modem your only choise is to connect it to a computer and share the connection from there with the second computer using ethernet cards and cross-over UTP cable.

Cool, cheers man.

Right something else I have forgot to mention:
The 2 machines are already connected to a LAN via a port being split with a Switch, this means that Windows XP picks up the available internet connection from the machine that I have enabled ICS. So does this mean that I don't need to bother with the Cross Over Cable?
More
19 years 6 months ago #5504 by nske
Sure, as long as the PCs are on the same network one way or another, you can do whatever you like :)
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds