Skip to main content

can we get back our domain name?

More
19 years 7 months ago #5243 by nske
- The email to authorize a transfer will be sent to the technical contact email or the administrative contact email, depending on the policy of your new registrar. This means you create i.e. your free customer account in enom.com and then from their control panel you issue a "transfer request". They will then contact via email the tech. contact and require a confirmation based on their email to authorize the transfer. You can try and do this, and see if your current registrar reacts anyhow. If not and if you can't contact him in any way or change the whois information.. You are in trouble

- I suggest you do not mix dns and web hosting, a domain name registration is something that you will propably want to keep regardless of what company provides you with hosting services in any time. Also dns service is something that you will not need to change often, as much as your web host. Of course web hosting companies offer usually to "take the burden of domain registration and the boring technical details off your back", but the result is often problems like the one you have :)

So I suggest you pick a Verisign accredited Registrar (the requirements that Verisign enforces for this, ensure in some way it will be a big and serious company that is primarily active in DNS services). Only Verisign registrars have direct access to the TLD registry, thus any other company you deal with will be a reseller of one of them. You can find a list for the .com TLD registrars here .

The only negative that you wil notice with most of these companies is their high prices for ordering a small numbers of domains (let's say under 100!). So resellers of them can provide you with better prices because they get much better prices from them as well, as resellers. Problem is that any can become a reseller so you can't be sure of the quality of their services! Of course some of them are quite decent, i.e. I've had excellent relationship with Ermina from www.netrillium.com which is a web host as well as a reseller of Enom for domains and I guarantee you she is 100% professional. Her prices for domain registration are quite decent as well (7$ /year last time I checked). If you are not very experienced, netrillium would be a good choise..

Also I am currently a customer of www.registerfly.com which provides the neatest panel that I have seen (though I don't use it since I point the domain to my own DNS server :P). They also offer some other "goodies" for free. Their prices are the best from time to time, when they have some 1-week promo with 6$ / year that is. But you will have to monitor their site and wait. Still I somehow doubt about their support, I wouldn't expect fast response from them if I had trouble. Their stupid protection script placed an account ban on me for some reason (propably because I temporarily changed my account email to a free "untrusted" webmail) and it took 3-4 days for them to reply to my emails and unban my account. Anyway they are resellers of enom and are a quite big company.

Finally, a very large company (must be the largest after enom) that provides good prices and is a direct Verisign registrar, is www.godaddy.com .

All the companies I mentioned provide you with a web administration panel that allows you to set any option (including the whois information) for your domain, so practically you can point your domain/subdomains to any server you want at zero time.
More
19 years 7 months ago #5259 by apit
tq for your info nske...
if i live at malaysia, witch is better..
i get the hosting company by local or ousite such as US,finland etc..
how about the speed constraint?
need your advise..
More
19 years 7 months ago #5260 by nske
Well it's not as much a matter of speed (throughput), as a matter of responsiveness. So it depends on what you are planning to host, if you were interesting in hosting a gameserver for users in your country i.e., the difference would be very noticeable if your server was inside your country or at least nearby, because of the nature of the application. For web http still, it is not as much, hardly a few fractions of a second lag between the time a user clicks a link and between the page starts loading, most users won't even notice! Of course if you find a good offer near your country it is nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Bandwidth is not cheap in most places, so you'll generally find better prices for servers at the US & Canada, but since you only care to buy some space you may not see much difference in price :)

You can nice and grapically check the place where a server is located and how many intermediate nodes there are by running visualroute from your pc, or you can use the java visualroute applet installed in manu servers to see just the final regions.

check 195.193.168.164/
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds