Skip to main content

2 subnets, one gateway advice needed

More
12 years 11 months ago #36929 by Richardbee
Hi

I need to setup some pc's for public use. We have only one internet connection / gateway (linksys router). My guess is to setup a subnet so the internal network will not be exposed.

How would be able to set up two subnets with only one internet connection/gateway? Would I need 2 routers or would one be sufficient?

Many thanks in advance
Richard
More
12 years 11 months ago #36931 by next_virus
Hi Richard,

I think you have a Wi_Fi setup at your place as you are using linksys ( which mostly used for Wi_Fi.

I think you have to use one more router and configure NAT on it.

Regards
Alok.
More
12 years 11 months ago #36934 by Richardbee
Many Thanks
More
12 years 11 months ago #36939 by Chris
Richardbee,

If you have a Linksys router, I'd advise you check out www.dd-wrt.com and see if you model is amongst the compatible list. ddwrt is an open source firmware that was created for a number of Linksys devices that extends the functionality of the product, to over needs such as the one you mentioned.

I've used (and still do) it to cover all sorts of wierd scenarios - its extremely flexible and highly recommend if you don't want to purchase more equipment.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
12 years 11 months ago #36940 by next_virus
Thanks Chris for sharing such a great information. I was not aware of it.

Many Thanks.
Alok.
More
12 years 11 months ago #36958 by sais
need to setup some pc's for public use. We have only one internet connection / gateway (linksys router). My guess is to setup a subnet so the internal network will not be exposed.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds