Skip to main content

Dark DHCP

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #36677 by BharatNT2IE
Dark DHCP was created by BharatNT2IE
Hello folks, this question means a lot me. The diagram of our organization is shown below. Now we are connected to

Verizon FiOS<
>Linksys<
> Net Gear Switch<
> Windows Server 2008 R2

<\

\

\> 30 Users

Now, the managers ( operational) have asked us a logical question when our network was down ( due to address conflict ) Where is our DHCP server ? Now , i guess the Linksys WRTG54 Wireless / Hub router is the DHCP server. But my question is : How will that device know, that it needs to act as the DHCP server , and it is the only DHCP server in our network? I do not know what you call that device , the frienldly Verizon Technician comes and installs . What is that "thing"?

This is frustrating.... i am a future network engineer, I am so.... @#$%@#$@#$34 at myself , that i want to know what it is its function? etc. is this the DHCP server?????? So how will the Linksys router know that it is the DHCP server?????? Will this thing give some sort of signal from it WAN port saying..."Hey whosoever is connected to me , you are the DHCP server" ? Or the DHCP server is somewhere beyond this LAN,,,,,What about the DNS where is this located??????

I might not be asking a technical question as such? But i am trying to learn how this DHCP works in the real world. I DO NOT NEED A PERFECT ANSWER, BUT IF I COULD GET A BRIEF OVERVIEW. I WOULD BE HAPPY!!!!!!

And we configured the Windows Sever 2008 R2 with Static IP and disable DHCP on it. So there is no chance that , it the DHCP. So tell me in terms of Home users also. How does this device know?????? Is this Wireless Router / Unmanaged Switch(Hub) the PATing device. Please guys , i could really use your help???????

Thanks

Bharat[img][/img]

Bharat Chandra Penumutchu
CCENT
MS IN TELECOMMUNICATIONS
George Mason University
More
13 years 3 weeks ago #36679 by MarkB7299
Replied by MarkB7299 on topic Re: Dark DHCP
Use wireshark to figure out what's going on!! Just joking. What I would advise is 1st disable all dhcp services on all of your devices. 2nd enable it only on one device. I will not steal someone's credit however here's the wiki answer to your question wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_DHCP_sever_used_for or just google what is a dhcp server. Last, as a network engineer you should never panic if $*it hits the fan you must compose yourself!! If end uses including managers witness you panic. Kiss your responsibilities as a network engineer good bye alone with a little of your confidence and swagger. IT is a cut throat industry welcome to the arena.
Good Luck
More
13 years 3 weeks ago #36680 by BharatNT2IE
Replied by BharatNT2IE on topic Re: Dark DHCP
Mark,
It was royal pain in the @#$#@$@$#@ :oops: . Yes, so let me just see i think it might have been the wireless router problem.... he he...

Thanks
Bharat

Bharat Chandra Penumutchu
CCENT
MS IN TELECOMMUNICATIONS
George Mason University
More
13 years 3 weeks ago #36688 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Dark DHCP
Try this, Go to one of your PCs that are using DHCP and type the following on command prompt:

ipconfig /all

You will get a output similar to this:

[code:1]Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 33-12-GG-E8-89-9M
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.116
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 200.220.220.200

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 07, 2011 1:45:35 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 08, 2011 1:45:35 AM[/code:1]

As you can see it shows the DHCP server above. 192.168.1.12. ave Check the IP shown to you with the devices on your network and you shall find your DHCP server.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 3 weeks ago #36693 by apit
Replied by apit on topic Re: Dark DHCP
or copy the DHCP IP (refer to S0lo post) and paste it at your web browser...then you will know what is the device
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds