Skip to main content

port forwarding

More
13 years 1 month ago #36529 by navatala
port forwarding was created by navatala
Hi,

this may not be the right forum so apologies before hand.

I have the following setup at home

router with public Ip address
Web cam with an internal Ip address listening on port 81

I'm trying to set up port forwarding (NAT) so that I can access a webcam via the public IP address.

I've set up a rule to forward port 81 to the webcams internal ip address
but it isn't working when I try to access the webcam via http://ip:81 I just get an unable to connect message from the browser, the router has a firewal but it's diabled. What am I doing wrong?

tia
More
13 years 1 month ago #36530 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: port forwarding
Without knowing more detail there are a couple of things you might try. First, assuming the webcam is a seperate external device and is connected to your network, does it have a default gateway set to the address of your router? And second, I don't know what make/model of router you have but I have seen more than one of these cheaper 'home' firewall/routers in which port forwarding etc doesn''t work unless the firewall is turned on.
Please can you advise what make/model the router is and tell us a little more about the wecam?
More
13 years 1 month ago #36531 by navatala
Replied by navatala on topic Re: port forwarding
Intersting point regarding the firewall, I'll try activating it and see if it makes any difference, you are right about it being a cheap home router, I got it from my ISP when I signed up for broadband 8 or 9 years ago. it has no name on the box but I believe it is Amper Xavi 7768r

The web cam has it's own IP address and a default gateway etc.

I'm assunming that port forwarding is acutaully working becasue I can see that there is are two entries there for the internal ip address on on port 23 and the other on port 80, having siad that I can not access either of these services outside my network but I can when I'm inside the network and using the public IP, the router must be doing some thing there to get me to the internal IP address....

I'll let you know how I get on
thanks
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds