Skip to main content

Preparing for the future with a new router

More
13 years 1 month ago #36457 by leeand00
I'm in the market for a new network appliance router that either has the following features, or can be modded to have the following features:
  • Dual Stack (ipv4, ipv6)
  • On-Board Configurable DNS Server
  • Wireless
  • ...and VPN Support

Do they make such a thing?

Thank you,
Andrew J. Leer
More
13 years 1 month ago #36465 by Nevins
What type of traffic is this router intended to support?

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
13 years 1 month ago #36473 by leeand00
Just my traffic to/from my apartment, either via a vpn or just myself browsing the web from home.

I just want to learn about how to setup a home network using ipv6, and be able to VPN in to my home network remotely.
More
13 years 1 month ago #36475 by Nevins
www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/...dels_comparison.html

I'm guessing something in the 800 series would be what your looking for. Honestly I'm sure if you call Cisco you can gather info about what models you actually need.

Additionally cisco has a "home store" with various linksys routers but I'm guessing if your here your wanting a more robust system:

homestore.cisco.com/en-us.htm

Useful Threads
More
13 years 1 month ago #36498 by krik
nnbnbHi,

You should have a look at the Cisco 520 router. It is definitely less expensive than 800 series and seems to fit your requirements...

www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/rout...heet_c78-484356.html

Regards,
Christophe

Christophe Lemaire
www.exp-networks.be/blog/
More
13 years 1 month ago #36502 by Nevins
Krik actually on Ebay the prices are about the same for some reason (I just checked online of the two model types I couldn't even find a 520 but I did find an 871 at $15). But your correct if properly priced 8xx series should cost more then the 5xx. To be honest if you want the best deal you should shop them both because in the second hand market the prices get mixed around quite a bit. I got a 2600 series router for $11 with shipping and a 2500 series router for $22 without shipping. Is your intent to buy new or used leeand00?

The main advantage with new systems is you get a support contract and everything is generally legal. Also there are quite a few discontinued options that Cisco no longer supports.

The main disadvantage to second hand systems no support and cisco doesn't give away IOS. Also it's a bit of a gamble.

Useful Threads
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds