Skip to main content

Distance problem

More
20 years 8 months ago #356 by b_codrut_i
Distance problem was created by b_codrut_i
Hi guys! I hope you can help me.I have a friend who is living around 250m from me.I don't know what media i have to use,but not to expensive.
I was thinking using a coaxial cable!?

Thanks
More
20 years 8 months ago #357 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Distance problem
Codrut,

Coaxial cable isn't going to do your job. You can run thin coaxial cable (10base2) upto 185 meters. Thick coaxial can go upto 500 meters, but is certainly not a good solutions.

If you are able to place a hub somewhere in between middle of the connection, let's say around 110-120 meters, you might be lucky and it might work.

There are also two more solutions, but more expensive. First one would be a fibre connection, which will work fine. Second and more practicle is a wireless connection which will require a line of sight, in other words, you need to be able to see the other side and not have any buildings in between as they will interfere.

If I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 8 months ago #358 by b_codrut_i
Replied by b_codrut_i on topic Distance problem
Thanks,but can you explain me why i can't use thick coaxial cable?
More
20 years 8 months ago #359 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Distance problem
Why not setup a wireless bridge? depending on your LOS and your antenna building skills you could get away with a full setup for <US$200 and that would avoid laying thick coax($$$)...depending on the equipment you choose and your SNR you can get speeds up to 54mbs(infact I think they've gone a bit higher now)..half duplex though.

Anyhow, best of luck, I just layed down 120m of cat5 and that was a pain in the asss...200 odd metres of thick coax would suck big time.

Ben.

sh int brain, brain is down
More
20 years 8 months ago #360 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Distance problem
Woops I just saw the admin post telling you about wireless....oh well nothing like hearing the same thing twice!

sh int brain, brain is down
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds