Skip to main content

Windows server 2003 internal mail server set up

More
14 years 2 months ago #33691 by SteveP
@ NeoTech - I'm trying to get the company that I support to move to a domain. They have around 16 XP pro clients (and increasing) in a workgroup which I guess is approaching the time when they MUST bite the bullet. Cost is the problem ... of course I'd want them to stay with Windows rather than migrate to Linux because, like you, I'm working towards MS certs
More
14 years 3 weeks ago #34229 by NeoTech
@SteveP -

16... and increasing? I'd definately be bringing in a server. A central point of control would be soo much easier than administering 16 individual workstations. Not to mention the added benefits like AD... Given the option you could then always rip out the workstations hard drives and configure them on network boot, then use the hard drives for extra storage in the server.

Even if you just built a reasonably modest PC with server OS installed... It might be cheaper than buying a large server. Ofcourse if they're ever likely to have a huge domain you may want a better machine but if, like regular Windows, server licences are transferable on retail versions it will certainly cut costs for the forseeable future and you could then use the same license on the upgrade.
It's all about cost though and for that reason it may also be worth you learning Linux. A temporary server could be set up for just a few hundred pounds using a free version like centOS. Its that or a few grand (or a recurring monthly fee) for a windows server.

Let me know how it goes...

Neo
Tech
More
14 years 3 weeks ago #34230 by NeoTech
On a side note, how does one go about routing AD mail outside the AD and into the WAN cloud? Im sure it would require a service from the ISP but has anyone actually set it up before? What's involved?

Neo
Tech
More
14 years 3 weeks ago #34232 by SteveP

Let me know how it goes...

I've already started to look at kit to run ESXi or Citrix XenServer. I can build a nice i7, 12GB DDR3 for about £700 which would run several instances of Windows 2003. The cost of the hardware isn't really the problem ... it's the cost of the OS(s) and CALs! Obviously, I'd really want to have a backup DC on separate hardware and I'd guess that such a specific piece of kit wouldn't have to be so "meaty" as the ESXi or XenServer machine.

If (read "when") the organisation increases in size and specific server hardware is needed, I'll look into Dell or HP (etc.) servers.
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #34338 by NeoTech

...it's the cost of the OS(s) and CALs!

Yea, this is why I sugested Linux. No CALs necessary and the OS is free. Ofcourse it means time investing in learning Linux but career wise it wouldn't be a bad move if you had the time. It's something I need to be working towards myself.

Unfortunately for me however, I don't drive and now have no job, I was made redundant due to the company 'not needing me' anymore. I think my career is going to have to be put on hold for a while until I can find some money to invest in getting a license. I need to find some form of work first though. I've had a number of interviews with IT based companies in my area but the one thing that has stopped me getting the job every single time has been the fact that I do not own my own transport, which I feel is a bit unfair as the jobs didn't even require me to transport anything.
I'm trying my best to keep everything fresh but without experience my career is at a standstill.

Neo
Tech
More
13 years 9 months ago #35169 by NeoTech
Hey Steve, been a while since i posted but i was curious how the above job went. Did you get that server sorted out?

Neo
Tech
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds