Skip to main content

seeking advice (Parallel route)

More
14 years 4 months ago #33121 by synister
Hello. I have an existing hub and spoke network that uses mostly t1 connections. At the moment i have a site with a Split and Full t1 but people want me to use a DSL line to some how add as my third connection. Now my big issue is, my current network is private, the DSL is public, how on earth can i integrate this without having to create say a VPN tunnel and than with that, it would be a private network... I have an ASA that i currently use for fail over and while i am an ASA newbie, this comes to mind but i just dont know how to draw this up.

Has anyone here ever mixed a DSL + t1 connection, have you mixed it into an EIGRP table? Parallel route is what i am thinking and i need advice, thanks everyone.
More
14 years 4 months ago #33141 by NeoTech
Some more details would be nice. Eg. current config (protocols, VLANS? etc), what the network is used for (traffic types), what equipment is on the network (routers, switches, various servers ???)

What is the purpose of adding the DSL line to the network? Is it to be used for different traffic types? (sorry if I overlooked something in your question).

If you have a modular router it may be possible to have an ADSL port added and share the connection through the router. You could also have a new ADSL router added to the topology with default routes defined Eg. if only one VLAN was to use the DSL line you could perhaps set it up on a switch port bound to that VLAN?

I'm relatively inexperienced myself but have taken the CISCO CCNA course. I'd be willing to help to the best of my ability.

Neo
Tech
More
14 years 4 months ago #33142 by FlipRich
That's a good question and gives me some ideas for a client of mine.

I'm hoping for a good answer. :)

Rich
Network Engineer /CCNP, CCNA-S
Tallahassee, FL
More
14 years 4 months ago #33204 by synister

Some more details would be nice. Eg. current config (protocols, VLANS? etc), what the network is used for (traffic types), what equipment is on the network (routers, switches, various servers ???)

What is the purpose of adding the DSL line to the network? Is it to be used for different traffic types? (sorry if I overlooked something in your question).

If you have a modular router it may be possible to have an ADSL port added and share the connection through the router. You could also have a new ADSL router added to the topology with default routes defined Eg. if only one VLAN was to use the DSL line you could perhaps set it up on a switch port bound to that VLAN?

I'm relatively inexperienced myself but have taken the CISCO CCNA course. I'd be willing to help to the best of my ability.

At the moment the site has two 2611 routers, each router has a serial with a full T1 that terminated down at my central location. Serving layer two is a stack of 2750 switch units and acting as the backbone are two 3800 edge units. I have 3 vlans: default, wireless vlan and my fail over link, an ASA that is connected to one of my 2611 units. If I loose connectivity I fail over to the DSL, this is done by the ASA (it’s an entry asa I am on vacation so I forget the model).

Ok, so we have two T1 circuits (private) and now they want me to take a DSL connection and add that line as a neighbor… and I can’t figure this out. If it is private, I can’t give it an address that would allow me to route traffic over it in my EIGRP setup (this is variance 3),

As soon as I get back ill draw up a simple diagram but essential it’s a very simple network that was completely flat before I added in the wireless network.
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds