Skip to main content

Unable to access website with dynamic DNS

More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3280 by indebluez
[code:1] I have split this topic from where it originally was in the security / firewalls forum under the 'Reverse trojans' thread as I feel its more relevant here. Reference the old thread for the earlier discussion.

-- Sahirh, Moderator.
[/code:1]

hey guys,
1)i set up a website on my machine...and used www.no-ip.com
to get a domain....
i have also set up a passwrd n user....
i can access the site..the site prompts me for a passwrd n everything...but when i asked my friends to visit it...they are gettinn an error msg,...n not prompted for the passwrd n user name....

2)also i realise that no-ip gives an email domain as well...but i kept readin the links...and cant find a link to apply for a free domain...

thanx a alot:)in advance
More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3283 by sahirh
Make sure that you're running the no-ip DUC client that automatically updates your current IP address with the DNS name you chose. Otherwise your friends won't be able to resolve it.

They also provide you with an MX record for email, which you can then point to your SMTP server if you have one. This is more complicated.. you'll have to configure the SMTP server and make sure that machine is always online for you to recieve mail.

Also please make sure you turn off relaying on the SMTP server if you set it up. We wouldn't want your machine to become a spam gateway.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3288 by Cheetah
Hi

There are some dynamic dns services which I like.

1. freedns.afraid.org

2. www.dyndns.org

I am using freedns from afraid.org, but consider changing to dyndns.org becuase of some issues, not at all related to freedns from afraid.org. freedns from afraid.org is always a good choice.

Regards
Cheetah

Kind Regards,
<b>Cheetah</b>
<i>The outcome of devotion is, quality!</i>
More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3291 by indebluez
nopes its still not workin....the ip DUC is runnin
and i have disabled the smtp relayin service...
but the site on my mc is still not accessible
More
20 years 3 weeks ago #3292 by sahirh
ping the hostname and see if it resolves to the right IP, if it doesnt then you did something wrong there.

Then try accessing the site via the IP rather than the DNS name... if it still doesnt come up, theres something wrong at the network level.

Then try and access it as localhost or 127.0.0.1 if it still doesnt open there there's something wrong with your webserver and not the connectivity.

I'll split this topic later as its moving off the original subject.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3312 by indebluez
yes split it...coz
i have tried both freedns and dyndns...
and both are not workin on my machine...after creatin the domain...i cant seem to access the site using the domain i created on these sites...
for freedns i downloaded a dns client to update the ip addresses...dns client called DynSite for windows...and all of its updates have failed....i used a domain tt wasnt presnt in ths scroll bar of DYNSITE dc-hub.com but it was available on freedns....
the ip address of my machine is correct but it keeps failin...
isit becoz i am using port 81 to host the temp site? i checked n my port 81 is open....so why cant i resolve my address?
also when i try to access the site by the domain name...i get an error msg instead...isit these dns provided by these sites are not working or....?
plz any advice...
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds