Skip to main content

Basic network question

More
14 years 7 months ago #32179 by jtartist
Replied by jtartist on topic Re: Basic network question
PerlHack is correct. Because router1 only knows about the 192.168.1.0 network, it will not know where to forward packets destined for 192.168.0.0. Resulting in a dropped packet. His suggestion should remedy this.
More
14 years 7 months ago #32181 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Basic network question
I still don't think it will work if you add the route, because its in the same segment. Cisco won't allow you to have a computer on the same segment as the router, regardless of the route.

@ Perlhack

Am I wrong on this? Have you successfully done this before?

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 7 months ago #32182 by Perlhack
Replied by Perlhack on topic Re: Basic network question
Hey Zippy,
Not sure if I understand what your asking but, I'll provide my comments in the mean time. Every network I've built has had PCs on the same segment as the router. I'm using the term segment as a Layer 3 segment or net block here. The router is typically the default gateway for the hosts. Just like aminosninatos is showing a PC connected to a router on the same segment. What aminosninatos is not showing is if the PC is connected to the router via crossover cable or if there is a L2 switch in the middle. In my opionion it does not matter which way its cabled.

Zippy, Please follow up with your comments because I'm dont think I understand you previous comments, and if aminosninatos has tested please post results.
More
14 years 7 months ago #32186 by aminosninatos
hello,
thanks PERLHACK, i've tested what u have suggested and it works, if u configure router 1 with a static route to network 192.168.0.0/24 the ping successed.
but still if u replace router 1 with a normal pc the ping succeeded without configuring anything on router
More
14 years 7 months ago #32189 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Basic network question
My mistake Perlhack, let me explain this better as I was mistaken. I meant to say you cannot have two IP's with the same subnet on one segment. So, each interface on the router has to be on different subnets. I was a little sketchy on the diagram with the IP sets.

Being that E0 is on a 0.1 subnet and E1 is on a 1.1 subnet this will work. As you have stated, the router 1 does not know where to route hence why a 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 policy will work, being that it routes all traffic.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 7 months ago #32190 by aminosninatos
Zippy,
in odrder to clarify things for u :

192.168.0.1 (E0)-Router0-(E1)192.168.1.1
192.168.1.2(E0)-Router1-(E1)192.168.2.0
so every router interface is on a different segement and network.
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds