Skip to main content

Connecting Routers

More
14 years 7 months ago #31890 by sharky1337
Hey,

I can get three or four 2610XM routers for free. I think thats a great start to learn with cisco routers. But I don't know how I connect these routers together? They have only one FastEthernet Port. If I want to build a topology with 3 or more Routers. It is necessary to buy a additional FE card?

Than I can't understand: Why almost all routers at ebay have only one FE port? Know, please clear up the mystery :)

Maybe someone have a great great guide about cabling cisco routers. Please share ;)

cheers,

sharky
More
14 years 7 months ago #31929 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Connecting Routers
Hi sharky1337 :)

Hey,

I can get three or four 2610XM routers for free. I think thats a great start to learn with cisco routers. But I don't know how I connect these routers together? They have only one FastEthernet Port. If I want to build a topology with 3 or more Routers. It is necessary to buy a additional FE card?

Yes, if you want to connect the routers in a line fashion, the middle router will have to contain at least 2 interfaces.

However, the interfaces does not necessarily need to be FastEthernet or Ethernet. You could get Serial interface modules like the WIC-1T or WIC-2T and install them on the routers. In fact, FastEthernet or Ethernet interfaces are usually used to connect the routers to switches, not routers to routers. But off course it's still possible.

Than I can't understand: Why almost all routers at ebay have only one FE port? Know, please clear up the mystery :)

Search for the 2611XM router, it has 2 FEs. Or search for routers with additional modules installed. Type the name of the module or part of it (like NM or WIC) within your search such as "cisco router 2610 WIC" or "cisco router 3620 NM"

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 6 months ago #32375 by sharky1337
Replied by sharky1337 on topic Re: Connecting Routers
nnbnbOkay, know i got two WIC 1T Cards but I'm confused wich cable is the right one for my purpose.

I only want to connect 2 routers via the serial port.

I found this wich is affordable
www.amazon.co.uk/DCE-DB60-Router-Cable-0...725&sr=8-1-fkmr1
More
14 years 6 months ago #32376 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Connecting Routers
That is the correct cable. You will need that DCE/DTE cable to connect the two routers and mimic a WAN connection. One end will be set for the clocking (DCE).

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 6 months ago #32381 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Connecting Routers
Yup, that cable should do it.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds