Skip to main content

Using Static IP's behind a Cisco ASA-5505

More
15 years 1 month ago #29675 by kithylin
Alrighty, so a friend of mine recently gave me a cisco ASA-5505 as a trade for some PC hardware, so i spent the better part of 5 hours today racking my brain trying to get the thing to work.

I finally got it setup back on factory defaults, basic configuration, 1 wan port, 6 lan ports, and dhcp server.

I successfully changed the dhcp pool to 192.168.1.25 - 192.168.1.50, but i'm having another issue. I have a web server, and a file server both behind the cisco, and i need to set them to a static ip address, so that i can start forwarding ports, So i'm trying to figure out how to do the static part first. I've set one of em to:

ip: 192.168.1.4
mask: 255.255.255.0
gw: 192.168.1.1
dns: 192.168.1.1

but using this, that computer can't even browse websites like all of the other dhcp computers can. I tried adding a few security policies to what sounded logical in my head with the ASDM interface, but that didn't work. Tried a few static routes with ASDM, didn't do anything but munge it all and make even the dhcp computers stop talking to the net. (I didn't save to flash when i did that) and just power cycled it and loaded back up before my changes.

Can anyone offer some input please on what i need to do, or am doing wrong?

Sorry if i sound like a noob... This is my first cisco device ever.. i've configured alot of firewalls before, but never a cisco and need a little help getting started.

edit: and yes, i did spend a good 4-5 hours additionally, searching through google trying to find an answer to this but coming up with nothing.
More
15 years 1 month ago #29684 by Elohim
The ports on the 5505 are switch ports... not layer 3.

Alrighty, so a friend of mine recently gave me a cisco ASA-5505 as a trade for some PC hardware, so i spent the better part of 5 hours today racking my brain trying to get the thing to work.

I finally got it setup back on factory defaults, basic configuration, 1 wan port, 6 lan ports, and dhcp server.

I successfully changed the dhcp pool to 192.168.1.25 - 192.168.1.50, but i'm having another issue. I have a web server, and a file server both behind the cisco, and i need to set them to a static ip address, so that i can start forwarding ports, So i'm trying to figure out how to do the static part first. I've set one of em to:

ip: 192.168.1.4
mask: 255.255.255.0
gw: 192.168.1.1
dns: 192.168.1.1

but using this, that computer can't even browse websites like all of the other dhcp computers can. I tried adding a few security policies to what sounded logical in my head with the ASDM interface, but that didn't work. Tried a few static routes with ASDM, didn't do anything but munge it all and make even the dhcp computers stop talking to the net. (I didn't save to flash when i did that) and just power cycled it and loaded back up before my changes.

Can anyone offer some input please on what i need to do, or am doing wrong?

Sorry if i sound like a noob... This is my first cisco device ever.. i've configured alot of firewalls before, but never a cisco and need a little help getting started.

edit: and yes, i did spend a good 4-5 hours additionally, searching through google trying to find an answer to this but coming up with nothing.

More
15 years 1 month ago #29691 by kithylin
I didn't ask about layer 3 or anything, most routers i've messed with in the past, you setup a dhcp thing on it, and then you can go and manually set a static ip on a computer and it'll talk with everything else fine. But not the cisco, have to add something and not sure what it is.
More
15 years 1 month ago #29692 by Alans
is it only browsing issue? i mean can you ping internet?
when you do nslookup, do you get positive results?

always Face your Fears...
More
15 years 1 month ago #29694 by timparker
Two things that have got me in the past, I had the default route set wrong on one router (had it set to the router not the next hop) and someone didn't put external DNS servers. So nothing could get resolved.
More
15 years 1 month ago #29696 by kithylin
If i set one of the computers static behind the cisco, nothing works, no nslookup no ping, nothing. the only way for any of the computers to talk to the internet is leave em on dhcp. I'm assuming i have to set some security rule, or something, and i tried some and don't know what i'm doing and just ended up breaking it. Whatever, probably end up disconnecting the 5505 and just sticking it in a box and shelfing it again. thanks anyway guys.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds